1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nosy Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nikkicoolmama, Aug 5, 2014.

1. nikkicoolmama

nikkicoolmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    One of my hens is in the other hens business, have you ever seen this before? She follows the other girls up into the nesting box and watches their backside for the egg to coming out. I don't think the other girls like it too much. The layer was making a funny grumbly sound and fluffing out all her feathers (or maybe she was just trying to push out the egg...) Do I have a doula chicken? Should I build stall doors? That hen is constantly going up and down the stairs to keep an eye on what everyone is doing. Silly chicken.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL When I saw the preview of this thread I was gong to say doula but thought most folks don't know what that is!!

Yes, you have a doula!....lol....is the doula hen laying yet?
    Do you have a rooster?

Roosters often preform the doula role, so if no rooster maybe this nosy hen has taken that role?

3. nikkicoolmama

nikkicoolmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    ha! i love it! yes, doula hen is laying (i may have to change her name to Doula), and no, i don't have a rooster. i had no idea there were roles like this in chickendom; i really love watching them. i only have 5 so it's easy to get to know them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by