Not a black sex link after all?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jp123, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jp123

jp123 New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    [​IMG]Hi!
    We ordered speckled sussex pullets from a local farmer this spring. Picked the chicks up in late May and were told they were 5-6 weeks old at that time.
    By late June we were fairly certain one hen wasn't a speckled sussex. The farm responded to a photo with an apology and note that she was a black sex link.
    Alas, hens are now roughly 8 months old. In a post asking for ideas on why none are laying yet, it was suggested this may not be a black sex link after all. (!?!)
    Any idea what this chicken is? She's far more vocal than the sussex--a bit like a distant, low tornado siren--and a bit more stand-offish. Plenty friendly, comes running, follows us around, eats from our hands, just tends to stay at arms' length. Has no issue being the only of her type in a coop of 3 (was 5, but lost 2 sussex over the summer).
    Any ideas on what this chicken is would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]DUDE!!!!!!!! She looks exactly like a barnevelder!!!!! You got lucky there! Barnies are a very uncommon breed. They are supposed to be great layers of dark brown eggs, and good meat birds. I don't have any (yet), so I can't say for sure that they are, but YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF she's a barnie. There is the off chance that she isn't, but she is the spittin image of one.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

While I'm not quite that excited about it [​IMG], I agree she's a Barnevelder. Should give you dark brown eggs.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have barnevelder. They are gorgeous birds that do lay dark eggs. They don't lay a lot of them though, certainly no where near what a sex link will lay. Yours is very good looking.

5. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    agree Barnevelder!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Barnevelder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by