Not a black sex link after all?

jp123

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 21, 2016
Hi!
We ordered speckled sussex pullets from a local farmer this spring. Picked the chicks up in late May and were told they were 5-6 weeks old at that time.
By late June we were fairly certain one hen wasn't a speckled sussex. The farm responded to a photo with an apology and note that she was a black sex link.
Alas, hens are now roughly 8 months old. In a post asking for ideas on why none are laying yet, it was suggested this may not be a black sex link after all. (!?!)
Any idea what this chicken is? She's far more vocal than the sussex--a bit like a distant, low tornado siren--and a bit more stand-offish. Plenty friendly, comes running, follows us around, eats from our hands, just tends to stay at arms' length. Has no issue being the only of her type in a coop of 3 (was 5, but lost 2 sussex over the summer).
Any ideas on what this chicken is would be appreciated!

ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
DUDE!!!!!!!! She looks exactly like a barnevelder!!!!! You got lucky there! Barnies are a very uncommon breed. They are supposed to be great layers of dark brown eggs, and good meat birds. I don't have any (yet), so I can't say for sure that they are, but YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF she's a barnie. There is the off chance that she isn't, but she is the spittin image of one.

I have barnevelder. They are gorgeous birds that do lay dark eggs. They don't lay a lot of them though, certainly no where near what a sex link will lay. Yours is very good looking.

Back
Top Bottom