Not a chicken- I cut my finger. UGLY PIC WARNING

Coops Dad

Crowing
May 10, 2020
too close to Waco, TX
I couldn't find an appropriate subforum so I'll ask here. I was building a not-livestock trough brooder for my wife's chick addiction, and hit a knot in a piece of pine board I was ripping in a table saw. I slapped paper towel and electrical tape as a temporary patch. It looked good last night after cleaning it so I slathered it with Neosporin, put on some clean gauze and taped it up with first aid tape.

Most of it looks pretty good this morning but it looks like there be some dead tissue. How long should I wait before I trim it away? There's no sensitivity in the gray tissue along the edge of the skin flap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_184430213_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210619_184430213_HDR.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210620_083004120.jpg
    IMG_20210620_083004120.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210619_183918093_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210619_183918093_HDR.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 21
Also, no wife or son this weekend- they're at a select league baseball tournament to get my son some time in front of college scouts. So my usual "hey, hon? Can you look at this?" isn't available. And since my better angels went with my wife, I ate salsa out of the jar with an iced tea spoon so I could reach the bottom of the jar, had a box of Lucky Charms using all the half & half instead of milk for dinner and made a rare steak for breakfast.

Put a teabag on it after you dip the teabag in warm water. Wrap a gaze and tape over it so it stays on your finger.
It helps heal faster and always clots blood faster if needed.
I sliced my finger with a box cutter and I could see the bone. I hate doctors and refused to go in for it. So I used my dad’s southern remedy and it worked like a charm. There is barely a scar now.

I would make sure to clean it out at least once a day or after doing anything. You don’t want it to get infected. Also, If you haven’t had a tetanus shot in awhile I’d recommend going and getting one. It may cost a bit of money for the shot, but it would cost more to have to go to hospital with tetanus. If your going to use a sharp metal object to cut it you need to make you sanitise it thoroughly. You don’t want to get an infection.

I couldn't find an appropriate subforum so I'll ask here. I was building a not-livestock trough brooder for my wife's chick addiction, and hit a knot in a piece of pine board I was ripping in a table saw. I slapped paper towel and electrical tape as a temporary patch. It looked good last night after cleaning it so I slathered it with Neosporin, put on some clean gauze and taped it up with first aid tape.

Most of it looks pretty good this morning but it looks like there be some dead tissue. How long should I wait before I trim it away? There's no sensitivity in the gray tissue along the edge of the skin flap.
I do that all the time, and what I usually do is put some Neosporin on it every morning and wrap it in tissue and tape. take the bandage off at night before bed and put the bandage on in the morning again until the wound heals.

Thanks for all the advice! It extends into the joint so it's a leaker for sure and needs to keep a bandage on it. I had a tetanus booster about 6 years ago so I'm not worried about that; plus the thing that got me was the end of a 2x4 that I was ripping lengthwise into furring strip. I hit a really hard resin-caked knot and the blade kicked it back so hard that I felt my arm tingle all the way back to my elbow. It took a little divot out of the tip of my left thumb (which actually hurts way more than the index finger) but I have nothing but faith that thumbie will heal up fine.

When the board bit and I felt the impact, I was sure I lost a finger and my first thought was that Luna-toonie was gonna grab it and run off.

Back
Top Bottom