Not a new hamp. red? Then what is she? Pictures!

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
For awhile I thought she was a new hamp. red, because of the Google pics I looked up... But someone on another thread indicated she might have orp is her. I wouldn't be surprised if she did have some orpington since Moochie was one of the chicks in this random 8 we got. Except 2 of them were rhode island reds. She makes large brown eggs as does the other mixes, well my longhorn cross makes white (sometimes light pink) eggs. She is quite hefty but her weight doesn't stop her from roosting or jumping on me when I have mealworms at hand x)
71441_moochie_005.jpg

71441_moochie_001.jpg

71441_moochie_002.jpg

She hasn't been in the house before so she looked around lol.
71441_moochie_007.jpg

71441_moochie_009.jpg

Quote:
Please don't! Production reds are common mistaken for RIR and NHR.

There is always something new to learn, no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you might be!
wink.png

Quote:
Please don't! Production reds are common mistaken for RIR and NHR.

There is always something new to learn, no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you might be!
wink.png

Plus they are good layers
tongue.png

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a New Hampshire red
wink.png

But also, hatcheries have bred Production Reds (actually this name is used for hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, as there is such a big difference between them and true heritage type Rhode Island Reds) to look almost identical to New Hampshires (who also suffer severe production breeding) so often it is very easy to confuse the two. No need to feel embarrassed.
smile.png

This is a Production Red though. The main difference in hatchery birds is that New Hamp's have a slight tickling of black on their necks, and they're often more orange in color, but can vary, just like Production Reds.

Back
Top Bottom