What color is she?

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
I want to find out if this girl's color will breed the same as other wild type coloration (I'm sure it has an official term, I just don't know what it is). I see some wild types are brownish or reddish with the same relative feather pattern. My girl had blue undertones in her back and tail feathers. What color and feathe pattern is she? I lost this girl last week, sadly, to a sudden fox attack. Now I have an egg from her in the incubator...an egg I found in the barn that I didn't even know was there. It had to be from just 2 days previous so I'm trying it, and hoping it was fertilized. Roo is a lavender Ameraucana -so that breeds black, correct? What color could they make? I'm guesing black? I tried the chicken cross calculator, but I couldn't get it to work. Adding picks of her and one tail feather that looks blue in person. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20230526_191309.jpg
    20230526_191309.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230809_163510.jpg
    20230809_163510.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240204_091317.jpg
    20240204_091317.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240331_165912.jpg
    20240331_165912.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 14
She's an Easter egger, so mixed color genetics, but her coloring is very common in EEs except that the blue parts are usually black.

Crossing her with a lavender rooster would most likely give black offspring with red/brown leakage. There is a chance the offspring could be blue with red leakage. Only time will tell.
Thank you! I guess it doesn't matter what color it is. I just want a piece of her because she was the sweetest thing. The roo is sweet too, so I'm hoping it takes after it's parents -just hope the egg is viable. Guess I'll see when I candle. Thanks!

Roo is a lavender Ameraucana -so that breeds black, correct? What color could they make? I'm guesing black? I tried the chicken cross calculator, but I couldn't get it to work. Adding picks of her and one tail feather that looks blue in person. Thanks!!
In the second photo, is she with the lavender rooster?

Yes, this is him. He's 7 years old, so I hope he's still fertile enough to have fertilized her last egg:)
He's pretty!

In the earlier picture, I thought I was seeing a lot of yellowish feathers on him. In this picture, I'm not so sure.

If he does have a bunch of yellowish feathers, a chick from that pair will probably not be black. It will probably have some pattern of gold or brown with black in some places (I can't predict where the black will be, except that some will likely be in the tail). The chick could hatch out chipmunk-striped, or nearly black, or red or yellow, or nearly white. I can't tell enough about what I'm seeing to be sure.

Since the hen appears to have blue, there is a 50% chance the chick would show blue instead of black (just turn all the black into blue, for whatever amount of black it would otherwise have.)

He's pretty!

In the earlier picture, I thought I was seeing a lot of yellowish feathers on him. In this picture, I'm not so sure.

If he does have a bunch of yellowish feathers, a chick from that pair will probably not be black. It will probably have some pattern of gold or brown with black in some places (I can't predict where the black will be, except that some will likely be in the tail). The chick could hatch out chipmunk-striped, or nearly black, or red or yellow, or nearly white. I can't tell enough about what I'm seeing to be sure.

Since the hen appears to have blue, there is a 50% chance the chick would show blue instead of black (just turn all the black into blue, for whatever amount of black it would otherwise have.)
Thanks! Yes, I read about some lavenders having straw colored leakage that would be undesirable. I think that's what he has. In some lights you see it. In other lights he looks totally silver with a lavender tint. Well, this should be interesting! I really hope the chick hatches! I'm wondering...I'll post a picture of a bird that would be half sister to the egg in question. In this case, mom is a RIR, same lav roo. So maybe the leakage could be similar to this? Blue with red leakage would be kinda cool! Thanks for that info!

Attachments

• 20230729_180819.jpg
    20230729_180819.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks! Yes, I read about some lavenders having straw colored leakage that would be undesirable. I think that's what he has. In some lights you see it. In other lights he looks totally silver with a lavender tint.
Some colors can be very interesting that way, changing in different lighting. That would definitely explain why it looked different in different photos.

Well, this should be interesting! I really hope the chick hatches! I'm wondering...I'll post a picture of a bird that would be half sister to the egg in question. In this case, mom is a RIR, same lav roo. So maybe the leakage could be similar to this? Blue with red leakage would be kinda cool! Thanks for that info!
Yes, I think it likely that the chick will look something like that pullet, or a blue version of the same, although of course I can't be certain.

Back
Top Bottom