What is this hen?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I was sold this hen as a chick two years ago. I thought she was a cinnamon queen but seeing cinnamon queens in posts lately I see they all have black tails and no white so I’m confused. I’ve been told she looks like a Rhode Island Red, comet and Isa brown so far. Opinons? She lays tan eggs with dark speckles on the bottom of them, her babies have been fully white and dark orange with black while the dad was a Barred barnyard mix for both (her chicks are in the photos. She is the brown and white one)

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4333.jpeg
    IMG_4333.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8225.jpeg
    IMG_8225.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
There are two types of Cinnamon Queens offered by the hatcheries. One is a RIR rooster over a silver laced Wyandotte hen, and those ones usually have rose combs and no white in the plumage. The other type is a typical red sex link like yours. I think the hatcheries enjoy confusing us.
I thought there was only Isa brown and cinnamon queen for those varieties! I didn’t know they could have silver laced Wyandotte that’s amazing.
I think she’s most likely a red sex link

I thought there was only Isa brown and cinnamon queen for those varieties! I didn’t know they could have silver laced Wyandotte that’s amazing.
I think she’s most likely a red sex link
As long as the mother has two copies of the silver gene, she will produce sex linked chicks if she is mated with a red rooster. Several breeds can be used. It's due to genetics. Black sex links use the barring gene in a similar way to get those sex linked chicks.

There are two types of Cinnamon Queens offered by the hatcheries. One is a RIR rooster over a silver laced Wyandotte hen, and those ones usually have rose combs and no white in the plumage. The other type is a typical red sex link like yours. I think the hatcheries enjoy confusing us.
I think it IS confusing! I have cinnamon queens? and they have black tails and very YELLOW legs, and rose comb.

As long as the mother has two copies of the silver gene, she will produce sex linked chicks if she is mated with a red rooster. Several breeds can be used. It's due to genetics. Black sex links use the barring gene in a similar way to get those sex linked chicks.
Would the lacing show at all as a chick? Her chicks are usually fully white or white with a spot of the roosters colors

Would the lacing show at all as a chick? Her chicks are usually fully white or white with a spot of the roosters colors
I’ve heard that chicks from mixed breeds, like Golden Comets and Cinnamon Queens, don’t breed true. You won’t get a Cinnamon Queen chick from a Cinnamon Queen. You will only get a Cinnamon Queen from a Rhode Island Red and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. It’s confusing, but your chicks from her will not look exactly like her. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom