Not adding heat in Mo. please tell me they will be okay?

A little trick I used when in Alaska was to leave the water on a slow drip to keep the water moving.
It helped to prevent the pipes from freezing most of the time.

But on some days when -20 or lower, then forget about it.

Insulation is one of the cheapest building materials in the construction of a home.
Don't skimp on the quality or on the installation.

just my .02

I've been worrying about the cold as well. It was -5 this morning, and that ain't the wind chill. I do have a heat lamp in the coop, but the coop is part of my barn, so it doesn't warm the place up much. Grandma didn't have anything...have to remember that....

Quote:
I live in a rental so the insulation is my landlords problem! He knows we need repairs but is just a very busy man! Hopefully in the Spring he will finish some projects around here...siding, pipes insulated, etc.
I had every intention to leacve faucets dripping but just forgot!
he.gif
he.gif

I have hot water in the kitchen, hot trickling in the shower but not fully busted through, shower wont drain and no cold water in there! Bathroom sink has hot an cold running water! Hopefully everything will break free when this heat wave hits!
lau.gif
Supposed to be in the 20's today!
Currently have a heat lamp in the cellar , two heaters in the bathroom, one under kitchen sink, electric heat on and a fire in the wood stove!
I need a shower!

Quote:
I live in a rental so the insulation is my landlords problem! He knows we need repairs but is just a very busy man! Hopefully in the I need a shower!

I lived in a rental a couple years and our bedroom and bath were in the finished basement. The pipes were behind the paneling against the foundation wall with (unbeknownst to me) had a huge 4 sq ft. hole in the foundation hidden under the front porch.
Yep, they froze the first winter. After that had to run the water any time it got below 25.

I'm in St. Louis and my chickens have no heat and no problems.

We just built a permanent coop for our 11 hens in the spring- we insulated this fall and then covered the insulation w/ clear visqueen. (to keep them from eating the insulation)
smile.png
We also put straw bales on the inside walls up to the windows, and insulated w/ the spray foam insulation from the windows up to the ceiling. I also have 2 red heat lamps that are on all the time (when its below freezing). The temperature reads 34 degrees inside the coop, and my husband says that we don't really need the heat lamps on over their roosts, but I just worry that the girls will get too cold! It has been in the single digits w/ wind-chills often below 0 for the past month or so at night. We also have a heated water dish for them (Walmart heated dog dish). As well as all the insulation, we have two 1'x3' vent holes open near the top of the ceiling directly across from each other to let moisture out. They seem to be just fine- they are laying 7-8 eggs per day.

I am not adding heat to any of my birds this year! I have one coop I worry about because it is a three sided coop with an open run attached! I have it mostly wrapped in tarps but not completely! Just cant bring myself to add heat this year! I think we over did it last year and I like them being used to it incase the power goes out! I have two heated dog bowls for water and keep rotating water containers for ducks and roosters! So far everyones doing good!

I live in southern illinois near carbondale and have no additional heat and don't plan to. My girls (30) mixed flock are doing just fine in their coop. I pick up eggs two or three times a day when I am home and pick them up at night when I get home from work.

Quote:
They'll be fine, check out my BYC page for pics of my Coop. Smithville is only 25 miles from me and my Coop has been unheated & unlighted for over 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom