Not adding heat in Mo. please tell me they will be okay?

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
This is my second year with chickens and last year we ran up bills heating and lighting coops! All my birds survived last night but tonight its gonna be colder! Please reassure me they will all be fine! I am so worried about my chickens tonight!

They'll be fine. My chickens - all of them, from the 13 lb. brahma rooster down to my tiny little silkies, were out playing in the snow until nearly dark tonight.

Last edited:
They'll be fine. People raised chickens there before electricity.
smile.png

We have only one chicken. A rooster that strayed into our barn last summer. His coop is in the back of my 3-horse trailer (stored in our barn). His roost the front divider covered with a shipping quilt (folded thick) to keep his feet off the metal. The floor is covered with rubber mats beneath hay, 8" of wood shavings beneath his roost area.

I see evidence of his laying in the clean deep shavings, but have never found him there when I let him out in the morning. In the morning I find him roosting either on the divider/quilt or on top of the open bag of shavings stored in the trailer.

During the past few days I've found him nestled high up in the bales of stored horse hay in the barn since the snow is too deep for him to want to go outside. Seems to be doing fine.

Hope
Kansas City, MO

Last edited:
I water twice daily and collect eggs alot! I hope it rises above freezing soon! Tonight is supposed to be our coldest! I have LF breeds all the way down to bantams! Hope they all snuggle tonight!

My coops are not heated and I live in SW Ohio. Routinely gets into the teens at night or colder. They have no artificial heat other than the waterer I just like to not worry about them having access to h2o all the time. Did you know that a chicken produces 35 btu's per hour. As long as they can cover up their toes. They will most definitely be good to go, no worries.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom