Not again 😣

Why are you giving yours away?
I actually started out with game my dh worked at a Christain retreat and someone dumped a game hen on the property where there was another game fowl rooster running around with wild turkeys well these 2 got together and she went into the woods and hatched 10 chicks that very day when she brought them out of the woods my dh and others caught them and I came and got them She was such a great mama Her name was Miss Lydia hense my BYC name here. This was in 2009 Rufus was the last of my first flock. He was an awesome protector, a great daddy rooster, and of all 4 roosters he was the one I decided to keep because when the rest were fighting he was off with the hens. 🥰

That's an amazing story, I didn't know you started with games! Truly amazing birds, and your story is proof of that. I'm giving my baby away for two reasons. Well sort of two reasons, one feeds the other. We have neighbors vlose by. Like really close, compared to what most of yall have. And they hear everything in the morning. I've gotten complaints in the past. The big landrace rooster is going and that's a given, but we're left with two more males. My aseel baby Big Red (and by baby I mean my pride and joy 1 year old), and Napoleon the bantam. Thankfully for Napoleon, his crows suck. He's also the only male who can be with the bantams. That leaves us with Big Red. I love him to bits, and I'd love to breed aseel even more, but I just can't find any hens. I've tried putting him with my most biggest of hens, she got sliced by his poor attempts to mount her. So he can't be with any hen safely, he's a loner. Coupled with the fact that his crows can be heard from afar, it's enough to consider giving him away. But that's not all. I really want to get into breeding a pure breed, but I can't bring another male here with two existing ones. I really don't want to do it, but I can't see another option right now

It's hard decision for sure. I have an OEGB rooster he is my only one now and his crow is pitiful lol He can't even breed my cochin bantam hens because he is too tiny and they are too fluffy. lol I'd like to have another LF rooster [wish we were close] but I worry about Adam my little OEGB he is so tiny but thinks he is huge and he about got himself killed because of it. Him and my game roo did fine together but He would not fair well with another LF rooster. We had a hatch where we ended up with 2 Cochin bantam roosters and of course Adam thinking he is huge got into a fight one day while we were gone and when I came home he was so torn up I didn't think he would make it but he did. So I know it would never work to have another roo for now.
I'm sorry your having to make this decision it's so hard to part with them. I don't know if the breeds you have are used in cock fighting? it's so hard to ride by places where they have these poor roosters tethered and knowing that many will meet their deaths just so someone can win some money. I just dont understand some peoples mind set. But of course I don't understand how people can get enjoyment out of watching people beat each other up too. [Boxing] I guess I am the weird one. :th

It's hard decision for sure. I have an OEGB rooster he is my only one now and his crow is pitiful lol He can't even breed my cochin bantam hens because he is too tiny and they are too fluffy. lol I'd like to have another LF rooster [wish we were close] but I worry about Adam my little OEGB he is so tiny but thinks he is huge and he about got himself killed because of it. Him and my game roo did fine together but He would not fair well with another LF rooster. We had a hatch where we ended up with 2 Cochin bantam roosters and of course Adam thinking he is huge got into a fight one day while we were gone and when I came home he was so torn up I didn't think he would make it but he did. So I know it would never work to have another roo for now.
I'm sorry your having to make this decision it's so hard to part with them. I don't know if the breeds you have are used in cock fighting? it's so hard to ride by places where they have these poor roosters tethered and knowing that many will meet their deaths just so someone can win some money. I just dont understand some peoples mind set. But of course I don't understand how people can get enjoyment out of watching people beat each other up too. [Boxing] I guess I am the weird one. :th
You're definitely not the weird one! I don't find it entertaining either. And with animals it's just cruel
There are some very sick illegal games over here, releasing rabbits for dogs to chase and kill, just for sport. The losing dog often ends up abandoned. Dog fighting, cockerel fights. It's awful

You're definitely not the weird one! I don't find it entertaining either. And with animals it's just cruel
There are some very sick illegal games over here, releasing rabbits for dogs to chase and kill, just for sport. The losing dog often ends up abandoned. Dog fighting, cockerel fights. It's awful

I agree. And I'm saying that as a diehard gamefowl fan that owns (and will hopefully some day breed) a breed that is still being used for cock fighting. I do select for the gamefowl temperament, but I'd never subject a male in that sort of situation just for the fun of it. There's nothing fun about it. I guess I could breed him to one of my landrace hens (by putting him in with them just for the actual mating part and then taking him back out) and from then do a couple of generations of back crossing to get to an aseel, but that's just too messy of a breeding IMO, and leaves a lot of out crossing for the future. In addition, he's not what I'd call the perfect aseel, he's lower "quality". First photo is of him at 8 months, second photo is of him now, pretty much (he's matured a little since then, and some of the faults have corrected themselves). In the first photo you can see what a perfect aseel should look like. The only faults are the wattles. But that's easily correctable. In the second photo you can see more faults. High tail carriage, comb has grown significantly, the wattles again, and his neck is not so willing to extend so much anymore. He's got lots of things against him right now. I'm 99% sure that where I'm intending to give him won't use him as a fighting bird. That's my only consolation. On the other hand, it's very likely he'll get butchered there. Even if I tell them not to, Greeks are particularly stubborn
20221222_145310_1.jpg
20230415_180708.jpg

I agree. And I'm saying that as a diehard gamefowl fan that owns (and will hopefully some day breed) a breed that is still being used for cock fighting. I do select for the gamefowl temperament, but I'd never subject a male in that sort of situation just for the fun of it. There's nothing fun about it. I guess I could breed him to one of my landrace hens (by putting him in with them just for the actual mating part and then taking him back out) and from then do a couple of generations of back crossing to get to an aseel, but that's just too messy of a breeding IMO, and leaves a lot of out crossing for the future. In addition, he's not what I'd call the perfect aseel, he's lower "quality". First photo is of him at 8 months, second photo is of him now, pretty much (he's matured a little since then, and some of the faults have corrected themselves). In the first photo you can see what a perfect aseel should look like. The only faults are the wattles. But that's easily correctable. In the second photo you can see more faults. High tail carriage, comb has grown significantly, the wattles again, and his neck is not so willing to extend so much anymore. He's got lots of things against him right now. I'm 99% sure that where I'm intending to give him won't use him as a fighting bird. That's my only consolation. On the other hand, it's very likely he'll get butchered there. Even if I tell them not to, Greeks are particularly stubbornView attachment 3535040View attachment 3535041
That's a shame, I know you care about him :(

You are not weird at all my friend. I am with you. We have laws against cock fighting in certain places and in dog fighting. Yet we let human beings that are supposed to have a wiser brain beat the tar out of each other with bad lasting results. We had a fellow classmate die on our gym floor wrestling from a ruptured spleen. I never forgot that as a young person and never encouraged any of my three boys to play sports because of it. I tried to put my Mallard/Rouen Drake in drake jail with my Mafia Call Drakes and the four of them tried to beat the tar out of him. He is now in solitary confinement for taking the feathers off of my hens head and making one of them bleed. I rescued him pretty quickly when I saw it going bad.

I agree. And I'm saying that as a diehard gamefowl fan that owns (and will hopefully some day breed) a breed that is still being used for cock fighting. I do select for the gamefowl temperament, but I'd never subject a male in that sort of situation just for the fun of it. There's nothing fun about it. I guess I could breed him to one of my landrace hens (by putting him in with them just for the actual mating part and then taking him back out) and from then do a couple of generations of back crossing to get to an aseel, but that's just too messy of a breeding IMO, and leaves a lot of out crossing for the future. In addition, he's not what I'd call the perfect aseel, he's lower "quality". First photo is of him at 8 months, second photo is of him now, pretty much (he's matured a little since then, and some of the faults have corrected themselves). In the first photo you can see what a perfect aseel should look like. The only faults are the wattles. But that's easily correctable. In the second photo you can see more faults. High tail carriage, comb has grown significantly, the wattles again, and his neck is not so willing to extend so much anymore. He's got lots of things against him right now. I'm 99% sure that where I'm intending to give him won't use him as a fighting bird. That's my only consolation. On the other hand, it's very likely he'll get butchered there. Even if I tell them not to, Greeks are particularly stubbornView attachment 3535040View attachment 3535041
Beautiful bird!!!

That's a shame, I know you care about him :(

Thank you, I really do. I just feel so bad giving him away. It already hurt when I gave away his brother. But even if I do keep him, and I do move forward with the breeding plan I mentioned, it'll affect my neighbors. Having one or two HUGE males crowing will not be pleasant in the slightest for them. Whereas a bantam male (say sebright for example) whose voice is obviously much quieter than an aseel male will be less to bear for my neighbors, and I'd like to keep things civil with them. I guess I've already made up my mind, I just don't have the heart to do it

Back
Top Bottom