Not again!!! Backyard Chicken Crying Game again

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoSleepTillBrooklyn, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, so after my fiasco with getting too many roosters, I went with a lady who vent sexed. I got three pullets at 2 months of age 2 months ago, so they are now 4- 4.5 months. I've thought 2 out of the 3 were cokerels from the start. Pure random probability, I should 50%, I'm looking at 66% here. Not what I consider an acceptable margin or error. I'm irritated, please excuse the rant. At this point, my husband (who was supportive of this venture) is giving me the eye, and the, "You said it wouldn't be that hard" look. This is my single easter egger. Guessing from the behind, there is some Auracana parentage? "Her" legs seem awfully big to me, and the comb I can't tell if it's three or a "bunched up" single. Help me out here, it's my first easter egger. Tell me what you think.

This is her, overall she doesn't act roo-ish at all. Very skiddish and gets picked on by the dominate hen.
    [​IMG]

The next two pics are of the comb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side head view, the neck feathers seem "pointy"
    [​IMG]

The next two pics are of the gigantic legs!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Oooohh that comb! I would say boy [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    That's a rooster if I've ever seen one! [​IMG]

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Rooster.. Sorry [​IMG]

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I hate to say it but thats a cockerel you have on your hands.

6. carsNchickens

carsNchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    i have 2 americuana roos, one is literally a grown up version of the one your holding in your hands the other is salt n pepper. sorry but i bet he'll be a looker!

7. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Pretty much what I thought. [​IMG]

I'll be looking for a home for him now. He will be cute, and pretty easy going too. Nice combination in a roo.

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Not sure what your story with roos is but here is mine, if it makes you feel better:
    last year, my first time delving into the chicken world, I purchased 9 chicks, from the pullet pen...ALL were roos! I re-homed them all and am
    starting over...purchased 10 from a feed store, a different one! and so far they are all pullets, but I wanted some EE's, so a local woman
    said she had some, but straight run, ok, no biggee, $2 each, ALL 3 are roos...one I could have sworn was a pullet
    no...a rooster, so now, TODAY I am going to a feed store and getting 3 more, all supposed to be pullets again...
    (still a different one than the 1st store) and have also decided to keep 2 of the above roos to keep the girls in line.

We will see if I am any luckier this time, maybe I am not supposed to have EEs?

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

That's a gorgeous rooster with a lovely peacomb.

He's gonna be a real pretty boy when he grows up!

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Good luck! Every straight run and sexed chick I've brought home turned out to be hens. My neighbor across the street bought all from the pullet bins and ended up with 2-3 roosters out of 7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by