Not an egg

TadsMinion

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
North Coast , Cakifornia
I just had to share one of my polish just started crowing, the teeniest, silly noises ever.
Alas, it was one that I was sure was a pullet .(Now it seems my D'uccle cockerel is having a crow off with the polish)
Can pullets the same age start laying?
I have not switched their feed away from the starter/grower yet. I thought I had at least another month before eggs and stuff could happen.
:idunno

Cockerels have been known to crow when only a few weeks old. Have even read where a cockerel crowed when only days old. So to answer your question, no, pullets can not lay at the same age as cockerels crow. I never start looking for eggs until pullets are at least 20 weeks old.

I just had to share one of my polish just started crowing, the teeniest, silly noises ever.
Alas, it was one that I was sure was a pullet .(Now it seems my D'uccle cockerel is having a crow off with the polish)
Can pullets the same age start laying?
I have not switched their feed away from the starter/grower yet. I thought I had at least another month before eggs and stuff could happen.
:idunno
Young cockerels can crow as early as a few weeks of age, which is well before young pullets begin to lay. So to answer your question, no, one gender beginning to crow does not indicate the other gender will begin to lay. How old are the birds in question?

Thank you all for the information! I am really new to chickens and birds in general (I'm a mammal sort of person). The birds in question are approx 7 weeks old. I am relieved to hear that I don't need to panic about eggs happening soon.
The chooks are still in their transition housing as drainage digging and leveling are happening for the big coop. And that means nothing is set up for egg laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom