Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had two Lady Goldian finches die from Aspergillous. They had no contact with other birds for 5 years. The female had seizures, the male had difficulty walking.

2. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

If so, 2 months old is plenty of time to catch Marek's. The bigger hatcheries have day old vaccinated chicks which would be the way to go, if it's Marek's

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thinking of you, hope the days are getting better
    [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have a vaccinated hen that's 1.5 year old that is either wasting or having a heavy molt where they get thin. I hope it's the molt. I gave her some raisin bread today.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Yes-- birds are particularly prone to it, and some birds just tend to have a more sensitive respiratory system. It's present everywhere-- just like yeast and mold spores drift around in the air around us, even as I type. It's not contagious but as mentioned before sometimes if one bird has it really bad, this can be a generation factor for more spores than would ordinarily be in an area.
    Asper really likes wet conditions. When these areas then dry, the spores become free and drift around and can be breathed in. In the parrot and small bird world, a large source of this is organic bedding material such as corn cob. It gets wet or overly soiled, and not changed immediately, and then produces a lot of spores. The amount of spores can overwhelm some birds even if they have a good immune system.

It's why I get so nervous when my chickens spill water in their coop.. if it gets in the litter or feed, I scoop it out immediately. Late winter when it gets soggy here is about the worst for my location, because the air seems to stay damp and the chickens track a lot of wet in with them.

6. triton77

triton77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    What is the dosage for the super B complex? And how often can I give it?
    Thanks

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I have given 1/2 half to a full pill depending on the severity of the issue. I would start with this dosage, 1/2 Super B Complex pill to 1 quart of water. do this for 3-4 days then switch it down to 1/4 pill to 1 qt.. As I said you can float the vitamin E on the top of the water or give it by mouth twice daily. I like the float as it provides a steady dosing of it and the Bs. The trick with the Bs and why I say add to the water, you need a steady dosing of this as it is a water soluble vitamin and doesn't stay in the body very long. With the case of Wry neck I had I used a regular poultry vitamin, Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes as well as the added E and the half B Complex pill. After 6 days I was able to switch the bird to just the Super Bs in her water. All traces of Wry Neck were gone by the 5th day. As for the slenium, be careful. You need to know the soil levels where you live before just adding it to her treatment. You do not want to end up with a bird who is made worse by the 'cure'.
    http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html
    http://eprints.nwisrl.ars.usda.gov/908/1/743.pdf
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/toxicology/selenium_toxicosis/overview_of_selenium_toxicosis.html

9. triton77

triton77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    If they are not drinking their water can I syringe feed them the vitamins and water? Also do you think it would be ok if I did the vitamin water for my whole flock(3 healthy and 2 sick)?
    Thanks for all the help!

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tube feeding is much safer.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by