Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop

When you have time and can things slow down enough for you to breathe again, can you elaborate on this? I hadn't heard about it before and I try to keep on top of new Marek's research!

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Nambroth, there are some young ladies on BYC who are knowingly showing birds diagnosed with Marek's. I'm with you on this one.. the vial has to be a purple topped vial.

Also as you know, I think that vaccinating any bird, exposed or not is a good idea. Even if exposed, it can only make the body work harder to build up resistance to this disease. Just think about this for a moment. At 1 year of age, most flocks of chickens cannot get Marek's. The medical belief is that they have already been exposed to it and have built the resistance needed to keep them safe. I personally have had birds who were into the one leg forward stage then exposed to turkeys getting better. As in no more paralysis, no more symptoms and they are still alive today more than a year later. I am not the only one who has had these results either. I have been told by a Field Vet, for a pharmaceutical company, that he has witnessed this himself. It cannot be replicated in a lab as of yet. Doesn't make it any less true, just unproven by medical science. If you can afford the vaccine, do it. Or get yourself some turkeys to run with your birds. Marek's isn't the end of the line, it's just a different path.

3. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I am glad you have had time to think things through. I had a feeling you would do what was best for you and for your flock. If there is ever anything I can do to help, please just ask.

Shes still the same. I haven't noticed any change in her, unless she doesn't get her vit b. I have got her to a vit b every other day, with out noticing major change, so for now, I give it every other day. I don't want to drop it any lower and cause stress. If I find she needs it daily, she will get it daily. She is actually one of my best layers. 5 eggs a week every week.

Have you noticed any change in your silkie roo since you started vit b? is he the other roo from the fight with the roo that died? Maybe he got injured too.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I'm not sure what injured the lil guy that died. Could have been another rooster but I can't say that for sure. I've even wondered if it wasn't a failed hawk attack. This roo is a 29 or so week silkie. He's been here about seven weeks now. He's had a little limp for two or three weeks. He does roost high and he's been knocked off his roost more than once so I'm hoping that's all it is. I haven't treated him with vitamin b yet. Maybe I should. I've sort of just been waiting on news from the necropsy and watching for any changes.

5. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Better if I do it now Nambroth while it's still fairly fresh in my head. There are a few I've run across with the recurring theme of the type B blood and it's use for testing for Marek's resistance. Hate that word, resistace, makes it sound like they have a choice in all this.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219506/
    http://ps.fass.org/content/80/8/1064.long
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/10/20 this last a rehash of the original testing but with more side links. There are a couple more but not sure which ones so will have to look later. So many pens and houses to clean out today and so little time, lol. Want to give me your take on this after you've had a chance to read through it all and digest it?

You've probably seen this one already Nambroth , but am including it for Hogster. Deb this mentions something you brought up about the growth and genetics with the meaties, thought you might like to see it.
    http://www.lohmann-information.com/content/l_i_25_article_4.pdf

A lot of this I found looking for answers on the LL..I had seen things before about the 'B' blood type and have even run across a couple of sites mentioning it in the past. I don't have it all down pat yet with a complete understanding, but the implications of it are pretty encouraging. Well, it would be if it could be shown to protect against any future changes in the virus.

1 person likes this.
  6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Why haven't you started the Super Bs? The necropsy report shouldn't change anything about that, unless you are thinking culling them all.

7. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Hogster, you already have. Just knowing there is someplace to vent and rant is sometimes all it takes to get back on track. I'm one of those who has to talk it out, to get my head from running in circles. It's hard to make a good decision with that going on.

8. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I went ahead and saved all the links. I plan on reading them at the end of the week, maybe early next week. My mom is here for a visit, is blind and double amputee from diabetes, So I won't have much time to be on the computer this week. On top of trying to get the last of the garden produce processed and replanted with clover. I opened it up to the chickens last night, they had a hay day! Got the last of my potatoes pulled yesterday, so I need to process them in a couple of days. Lots to do this week, but I will be checking in either early morning or late night.

Have a good week everyone, and remember, tomorrow brings another day. Deal with what you can today, put the rest off until tomorrow lol cya!

Deb

9. triton77

triton77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    What is super B and where do I get it? And how much do I give? My little lavender girl is still holding on, no better but not worse. I'm treating her for wry neck with poly-vi-sol, vitamin E and selenium. Should I be using B as well?
    I've been noticing that my other lavender chicken is spending lots of time fluffed up and sitting which makes me worried she's next. Should I start my whole group on super B?

As for the hatchery I plan to email using another email address asking if they vaccinate for mareks. I do know of someone who hatched eggs from this hatchery and those chickens seem to be fine or at least they have not mentioned mareks.
    I'm beginning to think ours is environmental.
    Thanks again for the help!

10. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I have chicks coming from MPC in three weeks; I'm not sure which hatchery. I paid for the Marek's vaccine and followed up with a phone call. The hatchery uses the HVT vaccine. I will be purchasing the vaccine available on-line (MD-Vac CFL). Since it is a different vaccine, should I vaccinate the chicks as soon as they arrive (that way they get two of the three vaccines) and revaccinate at 4 weeks, or should I just do the second vaccine at 4 weeks? For future reference, which hatcheries give all three vaccines initially?

Thanks!
    E.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by