Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have gotten worse, two dose intervals of tylan 50, and one of sulmet! I'm looking into getting di-methox. I found some for thirty dollars a gallon! So it's easier on my pocket, I already have over 35 dollars of meds in these birds, for nothing! And now some of the faces are so swollen, their eyes are shutting!!!! =( I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

2. salt and pepper

Here is a list of meds I can get, that say they treat infectious coryza:
    Gallimycin
    Tetroxy HCA-280
    DI-METHOX
    Also found Baytril, but it's sold by the tablet, and I don't know if I could afford 16 tablets....

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  4. salt and pepper

Is there a water soluble??

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

That's terrible. [​IMG] Sometimes with wasting birds, it's only noticeable when it's in the last stages. Your plans are not necessarily ruined. If you get breeding stock, either buy eggs and vaccinate them, or buy chicks that are vaccinated. You can still sell eggs, no problem. You may be able to find a friend that can raise your sale birds from her house, that were not exposed .

There is life after Marek's. It's just different.

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Baytril tastes bad, so it's not recommended for use in drinking water.

-Kathy

7. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    It can't hurt! But I spoke too soon. Yesterday another of my chicks started with the leg thing. Gave her a Tylan 50 injection and she's on B vit. She's the one that had blood/cocci, so cleArly her immune system is struggling. I've read not to give vit with Cored treatment, but the Corid website says nithing about that. Poor girl. Don't thinks she's gonna make it. If this is marek's, it's a tough road emotionally.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Are you using Corid powder or liquid? And how much are you using?

-Kathy

9. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I came home today to find one of my silkies limping. I'm very upset. They are already on duramycin for sneezing/respiratory. And sav-a-chick in the water so I guess I'll add vitamin b but I'm very sad :( my bantam cochin is a little sick too, congested. This is very, very depressing. As you know.

10. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    My Mcmurray birds are remarkably unaffected thus far from the suspected mareks. I got 16 in Feb. and brooded them indoors. They didn't go to the coop with the big girls until 3 months old due to the cold night temps. And then another month on their side seperated for their safety before I mearged them all. I had no rooster then, but the 3 teenagers. They have been the healthiest birds I've had in 3 years of chicken keeping. I was going to try My Pet chicken this spring, as they have true Americauna now and I really want blue eggs. But now, unless they use the exact vaccines as McMurray,I'll have to give up my blue layers. Especially at $20 a chick. I wanted to get Cream Legbar but have since read they and Silkies are especially prone to mareks. I know McMurray vacinated birds work in my flock. I have not lost one and they are now 7 months old. Geez, I hope I don't regret typing this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by