Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I purchased several pullets that were supposedly vaccinated. I assumed that meant Marek's, but it did not. The breeder vaccinated them against NewCastle/Brochitis, which is good; however, I wish he had vaccinated against Marek's. I know that Marek's is extremely environmental, that it is unusual for chicks to live very long once exposed. Many of you talk about degrees of immunity that occur naturally. I am interested in this idea and will explore it.

I used to produce vaccines for poultry in the 1970's, all for large production operations.
Now, we are talking about vaccines and various types of immunity. Our veterinary model has been based on huge flocks and econcomics; not the care of backyard flocks. This is a new era, but unfortunately, we don't necessarily have the power to influence our backyard flocks care because we are so small. I think that this can motive and public interest for change.

We need to be clear with our breeders what diseases we think they should be vaccinated against. (A big problem for them is having to buy huge doses in one bottle that they don't need and can "go bad" after one opening). So for our small flock breeders it's not always their "fault" but a matter of access.

We need to advocate for smaller doses for backyard birds (e.g. instead of 1,000 per ml., or however they are marketed/given now, 10 doses per bottle.

I hope that most of you agree with this. Some company should pick up on the idea and like it, right? I would so much like your feedback, and if it's strong enough I will approach a company that I have personal ties to.

In hope and health,
Jude

Please like what I have said here, and give your name so that I can approach a company with the knowledge of a large number of concerned back yard chicken keepers.

I purchased several pullets that were supposedly vaccinated. I assumed that meant Marek's, but it did not. The breeder vaccinated them against NewCastle/Brochitis, which is good; however, I wish he had vaccinated against Marek's. I know that Marek's is extremely environmental, that it is unusual for chicks to live very long once exposed. Many of you talk about degrees of immunity that occur naturally. I am interested in this idea and will explore it.

I used to produce vaccines for poultry in the 1970's, all for large production operations.
Now, we are talking about vaccines and various types of immunity. Our veterinary model has been based on huge flocks and econcomics; not the care of backyard flocks. This is a new era, but unfortunately, we don't necessarily have the power to influence our backyard flocks care because we are so small. I think that this can motive and public interest for change.

We need to be clear with our breeders what diseases we think they should be vaccinated against. (A big problem for them is having to buy huge doses in one bottle that they don't need and can "go bad" after one opening). So for our small flock breeders it's not always their "fault" but a matter of access.

We need to advocate for smaller doses for backyard birds (e.g. instead of 1,000 per ml., or however they are marketed/given now, 10 doses per bottle.

I hope that most of you agree with this. Some company should pick up on the idea and like it, right? I would so much like your feedback, and if it's strong enough I will approach a company that I have personal ties to.

In hope and health,
Jude

Please like what I have said here, and give your name so that I can approach a company with the knowledge of a large number of concerned back yard chicken keepers.
I agree with you 100%. I will be writing to the vaccine manufacturer this summer. It will cost them more in production costs, but in the end I think they will so much more product it would be profitable. Usually I hatch 30 at a time, so even vials of 50 or 100 doses would be an improvement.

If you wanted to wait, I could send you enough Baytril tablets to treat one bird. Then you could try treating that one bird and decide whether or not to buy a bottle of Baytril. 

-Kathy
That's very kind of you! However, I don't want to take advantage of your kindness more than I already have. I'll buy the bottle, because it's either baytril or Tylan, and baytril had a better history of treating mycoplasma, and this happens almost every year, so it will be a good investment.

I have another wasting hen, wasting for no reason at all. Another I will treat with an Amoxi/sulfadimethoxine cocktail.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom