Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

No reason to switch to the 200, as far as I know.it's the same medicine, just 4x the mg/ml. Is there something I don't know about it other than that?

-Kathy

Here's something that has worked for me before....sardines with no salt added. For me this has worked really well. Now...not so much. Brats!!! LOL! When they took the animal protien out of the bird feed, they denied them of an 'normal' source of protien. Chickens, ducks, turkeys...they will eat meat in the form fo mice, frogs, etc.. Look on the tag on your grain bag.....none of that listed is there, lol. Meal worms help, as does the addition of sardines, fresh fish, like haddock, cod, whatever. It gives them another source that is lacking in their feed.

Have you noticed yet that our birds are eating better than we are?
Great tip Haunted. My birds love meal worms but I can't see myself buying fish to feed to them, but what about the waste from cleaning a fish? Will they eat the bones and all?

To be optimally effective, Tylan 50 needs to be given at a dose of approximately 1 1/2 cc's daily. When dosed less, disease bacteria is likely to able to become resistant rather than be killed.

The Medicine Chart in my sig below lists a variety of medicines that may be applicable for treating a disease, if you want to try something else. I think giving a break between medicines (plus giving probiotics during the break to restore "good" bacteria) may be a good idea, as long as the birds' condition isn't too severe.

Best wishes!

Everything I read before giving the meds, said 1/2-1cc per chicken. They are at one cc now. I found a medicine that is the same thing as baytril. There's one problem though, it's 25 dollars a bottle, and I would need 2-3 bottles to treat my flock! At this moment, I don't think I can afford that. My local feed store advice was that to give them three days, and try the more expensive stuff. How long do you have to keep them on baytril?

No reason to switch to the 200, as far as I know.it's the same medicine, just 4x the mg/ml. Is there something I don't know about it other than that?

-Kathy
All I was thinking is they weren't getting enough of the meds into them to work and by the time they got the Baytril, it could be too late. Tylan 200 can be got at TSC readily.

Great tip Haunted. My birds love meal worms but I can't see myself buying fish to feed to them, but what about the waste from cleaning a fish? Will they eat the bones and all?
Probably, the bones...most would be to big and hard. If they did, they could puncture the crop or gizzard I am thinking. You want to break/grind it up for them, that could work.

It wasn't so much to feed them, it was to give animal protien to them to stop the cannibalism. Everyday? Nu-uh, I'd be broke in a few days. Just a supplement.

Everything I read before giving the meds, said 1/2-1cc per chicken. They are at one cc now. I found a medicine that is the same thing as baytril. There's one problem though, it's 25 dollars a bottle, and I would need 2-3 bottles to treat my flock! At this moment, I don't think I can afford that. My local feed store advice was that to give them three days, and try the more expensive stuff. How long do you have to keep them on baytril?
Let me start by saying that I'm *not* saying you're wrong about the Tylan dose and that I have only used it once.

1/2cc of Tylan 50 is 25mg, 1cc is 50mg. That said, from what I have read, I think that the dose is supposed to be no more than 40mg/kg, that's .8ml per of Tylan 50 or .2ml of Tylan 200 for a 2.2 pound bird.

Baytril should be dosed the same way... weigh bird, then give .15-.2ml (10% liquid) once a day for five days (15-20mg/kg). This is the amount that several avian vets have advised me to use for birds.

If one can't afford to buy a scale, they could look up the weight of the breed and dose based on that, or they could go to a post office and use the scale there.
lol.png

1cc Tylan 50 = 50mg tylosin
1cc Tylan 200 = 200mg tylosin
1cc Baytril 10% = 100mg enrofloxacin

-Kathy

Last edited:
All I was thinking is they weren't getting enough of the meds into them to work and by the time they got the Baytril, it could be too late. Tylan 200 can be got at TSC readily.
Okay... but if they have been under-dosed, chances are the bacteria is now resistant to tylosin, so I'm not sure any amount of tylosin will help, I just don't know enough about bacteria and antibiotics.

-Kathy

You can give up to 40 mg per kg of Tylan as a loading dose the first time (which is not always required), but just remember, Tylan should only be given at 10 mg per kg (or each 2.2 lb.) daily. That is only .2 ml per kg of Tylan 50 and too small to accurately measure of Tylan 200 (.05 ml per kg).

Back
Top Bottom