Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Are you sending her for necropsy? I would if you can..I'll tell you what just went through my feeble brain.....metal disease or something like it. If this wasn't a Marek's and with the fever it doesn't sound like it, she had something bad. There are a lot of diseases that will cause fevers as well but I have no idea where to even start. That's why I am saying it sounds to me like a peritonitis or like that. Just FYI, on my bottle of Sulmet, it says to treat for 3 days for Coryza and things like that, not 5. Be careful of the dosing. Sulmet is a very strong and harsh sulphur drug and while in some cases it would be the drug of choice, you need to stick with the recommended amount and days. Think of it like battery acid and use sparingly. Di-Methox is a better choice as it's easier on the system.

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I couldn't send her for a necrobsy. I was going to do it myself, but she died late in the day, and I didn't have anything to keep her in for the night.... It never entered my mind that it could be a mental illness. I remember reading the dosage of the sulmet, but I guess since I treated her with so many meds, I mixed the dosages up. Just so that I don't mess up again, how long should I treat with the Tylan? So far it's been two days, at 1/5cc. I'm thinking another three days....

3. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

4. salt and pepper

Thanks for the chart, but I can't find anything about actual dosages.

5. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    [​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  7. salt and pepper

Thank you!

8. salt and pepper

[​IMG]I don't know what to do! My chickens aren't getting better! They have been on Tylan 50 for 5 days, and with a dosage of 3/4cc. There's almost no improvement! I'll treat for the full seven days, and then I'll give them a rest of 3-5 days before I start something else....

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry... you could try Baytril... If that doesn't fix 'em, I doubt anything will.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  10. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    X2! Or even switch to the Tylan 200.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by