Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay, there is a lot of info with the vaccine and if you go through Jeffers, ask to speak with J. R., just the letters and if he's available that man can tell you everything you'll need to know. there are also quite a few things here on BYC that can give you the info you want.

This blood test is done with specialized equipment and is pretty much fool proof from everything I ha used it yet as I found out about it after the worst of miney outbreak had already passed and a second necropsy showed Marek's. The first one did not, even though I 'know' the bird did in fact have Marek's. I think this pretty much answers my opinion on necropsy or this blood test.

As for different sized needles and different dosage, call and ask to speak with JR. He can guide you to what you need.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I send my birds to UCD for necropsy, I send them attn to an experienced avian pathologist... Not sure I would count on the average vet to be able to do a proper necropsy.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I should call the UCD lab and ask them about this blood test... Not for any reason, just that I'm curious and the DR's there like to talking to me about that kind of stuff and bettering backyard flocks.

-Kathy

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    It would be a good thing if it were more wide spread in terms of where you can get this done. The feather testing, the new one, would be even better.

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    casportpony - when i asked the vet over the phone about mareks testing; I was told that 'tissues' were sent for testing. This was before I had the Texas A&M blood test info on hand. I don't know what lab they use or anything, but I don't think it just an in house examination. I'll get more info when I go in tomorrow, and I have printed out the Texas A&M info to bring with me.

Haunted - Thank you! I'll call and ask my questions about the vaccines. If its possible it could help my younger chicks I will try it. I've read conflicting information as to whether it would help since they have likely already been exposed. My youngest chicks (2-3 weeks) are housed separately but they have been allowed to free range with their momma hen and I'm sure they've crossed paths with the virus. My 2 month old RIR and Partridge Rocks have definitely been exposed. But like I said, if it will increase their chances I'll try it.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tissues or histopathology is how they detected the visceral form in my hen. FYI, UC Davis starts with the exam, then collect samples for histopathology, cultures, sensitivities, etc. and I'm assuming they do all of that within the UC Davis system. As the tests come in they email the results.

-Kathy

7. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643530/

Here's a start for you....if you follow some of the citing contained within this article you will get a better understanding of it. It's worth a try, no matter what.

8. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Kathy, do they do the feather testing there? I haven't had a chance to really follow up on it but would truly love to find someplace that does it with accuracy. I would really like to know who in my flocks have it and who doesn't and all of the blood work would be too much for me to pay for to do each one individually.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Hah!! now I don't know what to think. I was all set to have him euthanized tomorrow morning and I go down stairs and he is STANDiNG in his crate and took some wobbly steps?! I'm
    Going to make him some fresh vitamin water. Maybe I'll just have the vet do the blood test after all. Any thoughts? Is this typical? Get better get worse, etc?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by