Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

@lalaland.... thanks for support. I'm starting to think that either I have a much less virulent strain than some of you or that perhaps being broody reared helps them develop stronger immune systems. I also wonder if their environment and forage makes some difference. My hens are kept with my horses and spend a lot of time scratching in the stables and the muck heap and I've even seen them drinking the stinking, disgusting, but no doubt nutrient rich, run off from the muck heap, even though there is clean fresh water available.

@ochochicas ... such beautiful birds! How very sad for you to lose them so young. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to think of moving forward when you have lost so many like that and perhaps a little frustrating to read of someone like myself, having a slightly cavalier attitude to raising more chicks in a Marek's environment. I hope you don't feel like I am rubbing salt in your wounds. I do think it is important for people to be aware that Marek's is perhaps/hopefully not always as bad as you are experiencing. If I am to continue keeping poultry, I need to figure out what will work in my set up.

I had one of my older hens (Molly, my red sex link) started sneezing back in October. She had taken a lot of stick from the adolescent cockerels (before I removed them from the flock) and was very run down. She started moulting too and had quite a hard moult right through the winter. Many days she would feed with the others and then just stand hunched up and sneeze and sometimes she had a frothy eye. I tried putting her in sick bay, but she would not settle and broke out at every opportunity, so I left her to it..... several of the other birds started sneezing too (and wheezing a little... you could hear them on the roost on a night) and in fact, I still have one or two sneezing occasionally. My Marek's girls have been in the same hen house with them all winter and yet they have not sneezed themselves and amazingly all the hens have come through it without treatment and Molly, who was worst affected, is now fully feathered and looking and acting well and laying almost every day. This tells me that maybe the environmental conditions are playing a part in boosting their immune system, as I would imagine Molly was not broody reared.... I bought her from a friend who got her from a poultry dealer and being a sex link, she would most likely have been commercially reared in an incubator.

It is a constant source of wonder to me how creatures seem to survive and thrive on the very "filth" that revolts us.....my bees can often also be found foraging on my urine soaked, stale horse bedding. Yet my hens and bees survive untreated against the odds. I am not advocating slovenliness by any means, but there is a value in "dirt" that creatures naturally recognise but that our modern day society has lost sight of.

You are right - I think I have a very virulent strain of Marek's. My July hatch was broody raised. They were the first babies to become sick and I think they spread it to my November hatch. I lost 100% of the pullets from my July hatch, and so far about 35% from the November hatch. They were raised in the house for the first 4 weeks, but then moved to the barn in the same spot where the first sick chicks were raised, so no doubt they got Marek's around 4 weeks old. My 16 week old pullets were also broody raised in the same stall as the first batch. I only have two pullets from that hatch. They are both huge and vigorous. However, one is sick and not getting better. I'm not going to cull her until I think her quality of life is diminished. She is having respiratory distress, but I think she coughed less last night than the night before, so I'll remain hopeful. My chickens also hang out with the horses and love to dust bathe in the horse shelters.
big_smile.png

The only good point to all this is that I get to keep more of the chicks I have hatched. it is hard to lose all my kids (especially from the November hatch since they literally are puppy dog friendly). All the new chicks will be double vaccinated and hopefully I can put an end to the sickness by the end of summer.

Thank goodness I have an extensive science background and can find some "good" in all this. I am going to write an article about my vaccine experiment so it can hopefully help others in the future.

I lost all of my original 8 unvaccinated birds to it. I hate it more than I can say as I'm sure we all do. My chickens are my pets. I got 2 ee's grown out vaccinated and one got it (I think it was the visceral form). I had to have her put down and a roo who I got grown out and he should never have been sent here b/c the place should have known by his age he was a roo. I couldn't get rid of the poor guy and I couldn't keep him b/c he was all over my bantams so he had to be put down too, I felt just horrible.

I only buy vaccinated grown out birds now. I'm surprised the ee got it so soon after she arrived, she was 16 weeks +. It seems to be worse in the warm weather too. Last year I kept 4 of mine and as soon as spring hit, bam..it started all over.

I had a loss to a darn hawk last weekend, one of my sweet silkies. I'm covering the yard next. I found 2 showgirls who are 14 months and vaccinated so I'm going to get them.

It's so frustrating and heartbreaking to have it. It's hard to buy chickens too. And culling an innocent one just b/c it accidentally came here is very sad too.

[quote name="rebrascora" url="/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks

This tells me that maybe the environmental conditions are playing a part in boosting their immune system, as I would imagine Molly was not broody reared.... I bought her from a friend who got her from a poultry dealer and being a sex link, she would most likely have been commercially reared in an incubator.

[/quote]
Of cores! The environment have a big influence on the immune system.The immune system is hormonally controlled, especially by a group of hormones called the stress hormones which Cortisol is the most prominent. This hormone is secreted especially when the chicken is stressed,causing the reducing of the efficiency of the immune system and increases the chance of illness.
Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of coops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)

Last edited:
I lost all of my original 8 unvaccinated birds to it. I hate it more than I can say as I'm sure we all do. My chickens are my pets.
Sorry for your difficulties. You and I are much in the same situation. The thing I hate most is the unknown. Do I cull now or "wait and see" if they get better. I have had two pullets that seemed to get better. One has gained a half pound and honestly looks healthy now. The other one had a relapse today and looks miserable. I'm almost wondering if I should just cull them all, but I know in my heart I could never kills a healthy, sane bird.

@Akrnaf2
I agree with the stress quotient. That is the reason I just got rid of two roosters. I've lost probably 9 hens/pullets and my ratio was way off. Now there are two roos and about 18 hens and 5 pullets in the hospital ward. I have no plans of keeping more roosters until my hen numbers have stabilized (maybe 9 - 12 months from now).

Sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
There's is no worst feeling than helpless.

I think that one big factor is concentration of virus. Anything that can help minimize the exposure to virus can help the antibodies multiply earlier than the virus , better strength against the virus. I have vaccinated 2 week olds in my spare room. I've taken care of them in the morning first, then at night when my clothes have been changed and I'm washed up. I'm vaccinating again because I have a fear that I missed one with the first vaccination by injecting the fuzz instead of the skin. At 3 weeks they will move outside onto my patio or in the garage.

There are no rules with this virus. It does what it wants. We do what we can. And we are stuck with the one vaccine to treat with.

Ocho, mine are pets, too, and I haven't culled anyone until necessary. If they have the wasting, I treat them for everything at once. Other than that, if they eat and drink, I wait and see.

My pullet Little Loca has been off and on sick for a month or so. I've been treating her with Tylan and Oxytetracycline plus they get extra food in the "hospital" ward. She was doing so well last week that I took her off meds. Yesterday she was lethargic again and wouldn't get up or eat. Back on Tylan and I forced her to eat. This morning she is looking a bit better and ran over to drink when I turned the lights on. Then she ate some bread. It really is wait and see. When they get to the point where they can't breath or they are wasting away, then I will cull.

I have two batches of chicks in the house that I also do the same as you Seminole. They get fed in the morning after I shower and before I have handled any other birds. One batch has been vaccinated twice already so they are good to go. The others are only 2 weeks old so still need a bit more time to build immunity. I will vaccinate them again in 2 weeks when the new chicks hatch. I've heard really good reports from local folks that started vaccinating and have not lost any birds since. I'm hopeful!

The only one I had to put down was the poor accidental rooster. I've always given them time in the house and when I just don't think they will improve, I take them in. I can't do it myself, nor could my husband.

I sure wish more breeders would vaccinate.

There are no rules with this virus. It does what it wants.
you can say that again!

I have 10 silkie chicks. Noticed one sleeps a lot. Today she can only wing walk and leg walk about 3 steps. They are about 3 weeks old and were vaccinated day 1 for Marek's.
hit.gif
I don't know if I should tube and if I have something small enough or how much to give (starting with water). She did have one nice poop but it was a kindof gray color.

My pullet Little Loca has been off and on sick for a month or so. I've been treating her with Tylan and Oxytetracycline plus they get extra food in the "hospital" ward. She was doing so well last week that I took her off meds. Yesterday she was lethargic again and wouldn't get up or eat. Back on Tylan and I forced her to eat. This morning she is looking a bit better and ran over to drink when I turned the lights on. Then she ate some bread. It really is wait and see. When they get to the point where they can't breath or they are wasting away, then I will cull.

I have two batches of chicks in the house that I also do the same as you Seminole. They get fed in the morning after I shower and before I have handled any other birds. One batch has been vaccinated twice already so they are good to go. The others are only 2 weeks old so still need a bit more time to build immunity. I will vaccinate them again in 2 weeks when the new chicks hatch. I've heard really good reports from local folks that started vaccinating and have not lost any birds since. I'm hopeful!

Ocho, you can try some Sulfadimethoxine. It will treat for cocci and a few more bacteria that are possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom