Not an emergency, or even sure where to ask about pullets that died

Pullorum is a disease caused by Salmonella pullorum. The bacteria is passed through the ovaries of infected hens to their eggs. Signs can include decreased hatching with dead chicks in shell or chicks who die shortly after hatching. 2-3 weeks old chicks can present with white diarrhea and respiratory problems. Many will die. Those that survive, even if they show no signs, become carriers. The bacteria can also survive in the environment for months.

This is one of those all-in, all-out diseases. The NPIP program tests for this bacteria.

The Pennsylvania Diagnostic Laboratory System is FREE to owners of flocks
under 1000 birds.
Penn State University Park (814-863-0838)
Harrisburg (717-787-8808)
New Bolton Center (610-444-4282).

I don't think pullorum would kill a grown bird. It's usual method of spread is vertically from hen to chicks, but does also spread horizontally.

I would bet that the cause of this is mareks. If your birds were under 18 months of age and not vaccinated, they are still vulnerable. I imagine the rest of the birds will be getting sick in the next 5-6 weeks.

Mareks, does not always present in the typical splayed legs paralysis. It can cause tumors and can just cause internal problems which leads to death.

Last edited:
Hi! Dealing with 2nd and third-hand information about the situation was frustrating.
Mareks does sound more likely. The time they died would have been from 18 -20 mo, I think.
I have no first-hand knowledge how the hens *were* prior to passing --- except I was told they were settled in and were laying well.
I just know they added new birds and the birds they got from here flopped over and were dead (I've tried to get someone to commit to a 'time-frame' when they added the new birds, and I can't get a date).
Lisa

I think Pullorum is unlikely as is Marek's.

Incubation is usually 3-4 weeks to months and you will generally see a broader spectrum of disease in 8 chickens (ie some may have paralysis of leg and/or wings, some might lose weight, some might get torticollis, some diarrhea, and some might just die). I also wouldn't expect them all to be laying regularly right up until they died.

The new chickens would also have to be shedding Marek's so likely some of them would die or be ill unless it came from a wild bird. That makes the timing coincidental again.

It could be any number of things--without a necropsy or a clearer idea of dates, it's hard to say.....

Back
Top Bottom