(Not an emergency) Questions about missing/stopping multi-day doses of corid and safeguard

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
I've looked for information on this subject, but haven't come up with much. Does anyone know the effects of missing or stopping multi-day treatments of Corid and Safeguard?

The Corid question came up last week while treating nearly 2 month old chicks and turkey poults after noticing questionable poops. There was a raccoon raid on day 4 and one of the survivors was a little banged up from trying to escape. I would normally offer rooster booster to a banged up youngster with no major wounds, but I was unsure if there would be any ill effects from stopping Corid dosage halfway through. I ended up continuing with Corid and the youngster is now fine, but does anyone know... Corid dosage stopped halfway through: less effective, ineffective, or harmful (as with antibiotics)?

I'm also curious about the same sort of situation with Safeguard. I use the 10% suspension (goat) dosed directly to each at .23ml/lb for 5 days. In my current situation, the runny, discolored stool did not clear up after the Corid, and I afterwards noticed something moving in one so got right on the safeguard. Today was day 4, and the droppings have normalized, but I missed a dose/day earlier this week. I believe that fenbendazole is still effective in that situation, as long as the 5 doses are still administered (the rest on time) but someone please correct me if not.
I certainly don't intend to stop dosage on safeguard, but it would be good to know for future reference: Would stopping before completing a cycle be ineffective or harmful? (As in building more resistant parasites?)

...and yes, I really need to just get a microscope. I've been threatening for years, one day I'll do it.

Last edited:
I see no harm in stopping Corid since it's not an antibiotic. Besides, you started it up again to continue treatment with positive results.
Safeguard is a benzimidazole. They are not well absorbed in the chickens system and excreted. What's left stays in the chickens system for a few days until broken down and finally excreted.
You're correct in that the Safeguard is still effective even if you missed one day.

Ok, just thinking out loud here, someone please tell me if I'm wrong...if amprolium is a thiamine antagonist, blocking thiamine receptors and thereby "starving out" coccidiosis at a critical stage, then stopping treatment halfway through would essentially render the treatment minimally effective, but not harmful to the animal or result in a greater parasite load?

Fenbendazole action is a bit beyond me, but knowing the tendency of targeted parasites to develop immunity even with correct dosage, my concern would be an (eventual) greater parasite load and one more resistant to fenbendazole in particular.

You're over thinking both situations. You have nothing to worry about. The initial treatments for both products will have knocked down the coccidiosis and worm loads considerably. Stopping for a day or two wont matter, just finish the treatments and you're done.
Dont worry about resistance neither, it takes a long time for resistance to develop. I've been using fenbendazole for years and it's still very effective as well as the other wormers I use.
The only wormer that has shown worm resistance from my experience is Ivermectin.

You're over thinking both situations. You have nothing to worry about. The initial treatments for both products will have knocked down the coccidiosis and worm loads considerably. Stopping for a day or two wont matter, just finish the treatments and you're done.
Dont worry about resistance neither, it takes a long time for resistance to develop. I've been using fenbendazole for years and it's still very effective as well as the other wormers I use.
The only wormer that has shown worm resistance from my experience is Ivermectin.
Thanks for your reply. Not really worried, more trying to understand the how and why and avoid any pitfalls.
I've always used safeguard too and have always had good results so never switched to anything else.
I worked for a vet years ago who said it's just about impossible to overdose it. I looked that up recently in regard to chickens and found a study where no adverse effects were seen at 100 times the standard dose.:thI mean, how'd they even get that much in the chickens?!
Anyways, thanks for your thoughts!

As far as avoiding creating resistance is concerned, I have been told by a doctor that they are shifting away from recommending full courses and instead the thinking now is the shorter the (effective) course, the better.

As far as avoiding creating resistance is concerned, I have been told by a doctor that they are shifting away from recommending full courses and instead the thinking now is the shorter the (effective) course, the better.
That was regarding antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom