Not banding babies

NYboy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
White plains
Last night i went to a breeder. I purchased 3 Fantails. The man said he bred all 3 of them. This morning I noticed none had bands. Foys has bands for .35 cents. Why would breeders not band their birds?

Bossroo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Also it gives one ability to sell a bird that may be 10 years old as 1 year old. Without banding it is only the individual person's honesty that one relies on.

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
If they don't breed with a certain goal in mind, then it doesn't matter. Especially being a fancy breed. If they were homers or something else that could potentially fly off and get lost, then that would be a different story. Also, some people just don't know where to get bands, or are too lazy to order them. I personally advise everyone to band their birds, just for the sake of being able to trace them if they do get lost somehow.

chinbunny

In a hutch
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Quote:
H emay be the type that reckognizes the bird just by looking at them. i don't band mine, but I keep records on them. Mine are alot easier though because they are all different colors.

Teach97

Bantam Addict
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Hooker, OK
Quote:
I would be swayed this way...

unless it was birds born late in the year and he had run out but I would only believe that if they were still young (yellow strings still showing or just that young look) when i got them

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I only have bands on my 3 white leghorns. Everybody else we can look at and tell the difference. I put the bands on the leghorns because they looked identical.

Our chickens aren't old enough to breed / lay eggs yet. I do plan on banding the offspring for the purpose of telling the age of the birds.

WHY do you band your birds ?

Just asking to make sure I am not messing up . . . . .

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
Quote:
We're talking about pigeons, not chickens
smile.png
I don't see the need for banding chickens unless you want to keep records. I would mine but it's too much trouble, LOL. I would like to be able to tell how old all of mine are. They're all different so it's easy to tell them apart, but I lose track of time pretty quick.

Top Bottom