Not breed but comb style help

DomiHentrix

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Thurston County, WA
Greetings! New here and hope someone can help me.

This is my (supposedly) Purebred Plymouth Barred Rock hen Rosie. I call her Rosie because she appears to have a Rose comb, or is it just a single comb with a genetic anomaly?

IMG_2159.jpg

Thanks in advance!! Lara

Last edited:
I wanted to add that she is five weeks old, hard to tell from the pic
wink.png

I'm just wondering if it's an anomaly or if this means she has some Domnique in her genetics?

I don't know for sure, since I don't have any fully developed rose combed chickens, but I do know that dominiques have rose combs. She may very well be a BR/Dom mix or straight Dom....

Quote:
Does it? I am new to this so I am not well versed in comb styles yet. I called the farm where I got her and they told me that while the parents of my chicks were their hens and roo, all of their hens came from a hatchery. I went on Sunday and got a shot of them, i'll upload it in a moment!!

Could just be an odd rose comb. In that case, she's probably a Dominique. Here is my BR/blue Ameraucana cross pullet, Panda, so you can see what I mean. Wish it was a better pic of her comb, though. If your girl's legs are yellow, she's probably a Dom.
DCP_1424.jpg

Last edited:
If that is a rose comb or a pea comb, at 5 weeks, Rosie is not a hen. Way too much red for 5 weeks. I have rosecomb RIRs and at 5 months old they are neither as red or as big. Now if Rosie is actually 5 months old, I would say she has a pea comb.

Quote:
Really? I raised her from a chick so I know she is only 5wks, actually she just "started" her 6th week Sunday. She does fight for dominance with my cockerel Henry, so you're thinking she's a he? Should I post a photo of my flock for comparison?

Back
Top Bottom