Not breed but comb style help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DomiHentrix, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Greetings! New here and hope someone can help me.

This is my (supposedly) Purebred Plymouth Barred Rock hen Rosie. I call her Rosie because she appears to have a Rose comb, or is it just a single comb with a genetic anomaly?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!! Lara

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    I wanted to add that she is five weeks old, hard to tell from the pic [​IMG]

I'm just wondering if it's an anomaly or if this means she has some Domnique in her genetics?

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know for sure, since I don't have any fully developed rose combed chickens, but I do know that dominiques have rose combs. She may very well be a BR/Dom mix or straight Dom....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gee, that looks more like a pea comb than a rose comb, even. I have a BR/Ameraucana cross pullet with a comb that is similar.

5. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:Does it? I am new to this so I am not well versed in comb styles yet. I called the farm where I got her and they told me that while the parents of my chicks were their hens and roo, all of their hens came from a hatchery. I went on Sunday and got a shot of them, i'll upload it in a moment!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could just be an odd rose comb. In that case, she's probably a Dominique. Here is my BR/blue Ameraucana cross pullet, Panda, so you can see what I mean. Wish it was a better pic of her comb, though. If your girl's legs are yellow, she's probably a Dom.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  7. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    here are the parents:

[​IMG]

8. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Thanks for posting the pic Cynthia, Panda's beautiful by the way!

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    If that is a rose comb or a pea comb, at 5 weeks, Rosie is not a hen. Way too much red for 5 weeks. I have rosecomb RIRs and at 5 months old they are neither as red or as big. Now if Rosie is actually 5 months old, I would say she has a pea comb.

10. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:Really? I raised her from a chick so I know she is only 5wks, actually she just "started" her 6th week Sunday. She does fight for dominance with my cockerel Henry, so you're thinking she's a he? Should I post a photo of my flock for comparison?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by