Not Buff Orpingtons White Feathers??

L3ugsbunny

Hatching
May 26, 2021
Hi ther! new Chicken Mom here. So on Mother’s Day we went out to our local TSC and purchased 4 buff Orpington chicks, or at least that’s what we were told they were. They had 4 different types of chicks in at the time, all seemed pretty unique in there own way. They had 1 breed that was called Blu something or other that were all a grey color, they had the buffs that were all fluffy yellow, another breed that all the chicks were rainbow colors from brown to yellow to brown and yellow, and then what they kept referring to as meat birds that were all yellow. The buff chicks were very few, only about 7 to choose from. We picked out our four and went on our way not thinking anything more of it. I’ve been feeding and bonding with these little girls for weeks and Now that they are a few weeks old I was so shocked at how much they’ve grown, they all have adult feathers coming in... but every single one if pure white. Not even a hint of buff or tan or and resemblance of buff. I thought the white feathers were normal like an undercoat but now reading about them it seems this is not normal. I’m so worried they gave us meat birds as we wanted them strictly for egg layers. I don’t have any great pictures but I will attach what I have and try to get better pictures soon. Two pictures are from when we first brought them home and the other two were taken recently as I was cleaning there pen. Can anyone give me your opinion on what we might have? I intend to call TSC tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. -New Chicken Mom

Attachments

• 06A0DCA9-ECD8-4E77-ACAD-82C3CBFC8E78.jpeg
    06A0DCA9-ECD8-4E77-ACAD-82C3CBFC8E78.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 57
  • D49A31FF-5E7A-4521-9007-BAD6C2417C77.jpeg
    D49A31FF-5E7A-4521-9007-BAD6C2417C77.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 8330CEFD-1633-4F4E-8F57-61E884BEEDF3.jpeg
    8330CEFD-1633-4F4E-8F57-61E884BEEDF3.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 25
  • 93DB66E0-DE82-4763-8689-6FB2B6BFB612.jpeg
    93DB66E0-DE82-4763-8689-6FB2B6BFB612.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 25
I don't think tsc can help you, any paperwork they have on the chicks that week doesn't mean anything. Tsc gets their chicks from Hoovers and they are known for mixed up paperwork sent with chicks or not sending the breeds listed.
Do they feel heavy for their size?

I don't think tsc can help you, any paperwork they have on the chicks that week doesn't mean anything. Tsc gets their chicks from Hoovers and they are known for mixed up paperwork sent with chicks or not sending the breeds listed.
Do they feel heavy for their size?
I really wouldn’t know what heavy feels like since I am a first timer chicken momma. :(

I really wouldn’t know what heavy feels like since I am a first timer chicken momma. :(
Just by looks, they look chunky.
they do look like meat birds, you can give them a good 2-4 year life with a strict diet, so don't worry too much.
Or Craigslist is an option, or freezer camp. :confused:
I would like to note that tsc didn't "give you meat birds", you chose these.
I don't know why hoovers sends out meat birds out with the layer chicks but they do it all the time, it's not fair for people since a lot of breeds look alike as chicks. Maybe tsc will let you pick out new chicks.

Hi ther! new Chicken Mom here. So on Mother’s Day we went out to our local TSC and purchased 4 buff Orpington chicks, or at least that’s what we were told they were. They had 4 different types of chicks in at the time, all seemed pretty unique in there own way. They had 1 breed that was called Blu something or other that were all a grey color, they had the buffs that were all fluffy yellow, another breed that all the chicks were rainbow colors from brown to yellow to brown and yellow, and then what they kept referring to as meat birds that were all yellow. The buff chicks were very few, only about 7 to choose from. We picked out our four and went on our way not thinking anything more of it. I’ve been feeding and bonding with these little girls for weeks and Now that they are a few weeks old I was so shocked at how much they’ve grown, they all have adult feathers coming in... but every single one if pure white. Not even a hint of buff or tan or and resemblance of buff. I thought the white feathers were normal like an undercoat but now reading about them it seems this is not normal. I’m so worried they gave us meat birds as we wanted them strictly for egg layers. I don’t have any great pictures but I will attach what I have and try to get better pictures soon. Two pictures are from when we first brought them home and the other two were taken recently as I was cleaning there pen. Can anyone give me your opinion on what we might have? I intend to call TSC tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. -New Chicken Mom
They do look like cornish x. You may want to check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/experimenting-with-a-few-meat-birds-as-pets.1449592/.

Yep I say you have cornish and the diet for those poor things has to be chicken weight watchers or they will get too fat and just die I speak from multiple very sad experiences

Back
Top Bottom