Not Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by acwoodrum, Oct 20, 2014.

1. acwoodrum

acwoodrum New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    I have an Indian runner duck that I just noticed is limping. She had what I thought initially was a large mud clod stuck to the bottom of her foot except it wouldn't come off. After cleaning it and noticing it was a black scab I assumed it was bumblefoot. I looked up many pictures and none seem to really compare. After removing the black scab it simply looked like a fleshy mass much like a tumor. There wasn't a significant amount of swelling around the base, and after taking sterilized nail scissors to more areas on it than I care to think about, I kept snipping flesh and getting blood but no puss. I poked with the scissors as deep as I could stomach and it felt like more of the same. Never puss, just blood and agonizingly crunchy flesh. She was a trooper, and I finally gave up (after a TERRIFYING ordeal with a huge spider crawling along my leg while I was trying to keep my girl secure) and flushed the mass with an antibiotic spray and wrapped it up. Is this a tumor or just a large case of bumble foot? Does bumble foot require the removal of a significant amount of flesh? From the step by step pictures another user has posted, mine looks nothing like it. Way too much blood, no center of nasty puss with a resulting empty cavity. Any ideas? The mass is larger than a cats eye marble but smaller than a golf ball. about as big around as a nickle maybe and protrudes about a quarters height from the foot ( would have posted a pic but after the aforementioned spider incident and with my lack of hands I was lucky to get my girl taped up and put back in the roost)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Although your description is very good, we really can't help you without PICTURES....

3. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by