not crappy pre fab kit

Rushdoggie

Songster
Jun 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
So I would like to replace my coop. The one I have my husband and I bought then added onto, and I hate it. Its ugly, its hard to get to the places I need to clean and collect eggs and even harder to get to the run to fill the feeders etc. It was a nightmare to get done with DH and I arguing the whole time. I love him, but we are not a couple made to build things together. P

I don't really have the time or energy to build, I have a rotator cuff injury of my dominant arm and couldn't do it myself, and if I get DH involved we will fight again.

There are a few people local who build nice sturdy coops but I am not sure I can get a fully assembled coop into my yard through the existing gates in my fence.

I was thinking a kit made in sections that could be assembled in a day or two by me and maybe a friend that would more easily fit through my gate would be awesome. But most seem to be made out of crappy materials.

Wondered if anyone had recommendations? I only have a few chickens and hoped to keep it under $1k and I prefer an integrated run with elevated coop like this:

51j0LCYTSAL._SX425_.jpg

I also am considering a coop alone joined to one of the nice steel runs they sell at Winco.

I built mine, but I completely understand about you and your DH. My DH and I are terrible partners on projects. Oy.

Were I to get a do over, I'd buy, too. You can get a pretty good coop for $1k, I think, if you only need a small-ish one. Have you tried Craigslist? I've seen some nice coops on there - new ones. I'd probably get one of those and plunk it in a chain link pen. There are backyard shed companies that sell coops online, too. Many with free shipping. The other thing I think I'd like to do is retrofit a used shed. But that would be tough with your injury.

I'm interested to see what others say.

I built mine, but I completely understand about you and your DH. My DH and I are terrible partners on projects. Oy.

Were I to get a do over, I'd buy, too. You can get a pretty good coop for $1k, I think, if you only need a small-ish one. Have you tried Craigslist? I've seen some nice coops on there - new ones. I'd probably get one of those and plunk it in a chain link pen. There are backyard shed companies that sell coops online, too. Many with free shipping. The other thing I think I'd like to do is retrofit a used shed. But that would be tough with your injury.

I'm interested to see what others say.

Craigslist has people advertising coops they will build for you for a price. Sometimes not bad.

You might ask. If they build them for you, maybe they can disassemble it or build it in sections. Maybe??? Heck - might be worth it to take part of your fence apart. They have those snap together plastic coops???

They are typical 3' gates.
Two 3' gates, so a 6' opening?
For 1k you could get a good one, but it's gonna take time and patience to shop it out.
First make sure you know what design you want.
Just because a coop is expensive and looks good, doesn't mean it's well designed for birds and keepers.

Two 3' gates, so a 6' opening?
For 1k you could get a good one, but it's gonna take time and patience to shop it out.
First make sure you know what design you want.
Just because a coop is expensive and looks good, doesn't mean it's well designed for birds and keepers.

no, its 2 gates in different places that are 3' across.

I was gifted a mini coop to use as a place for my injured bird that was 3' across and we had to lift it over my 6' fence. It took 4 people and was a pita.

Back
Top Bottom