Not eating grit

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
I've started to notice visible grass in my chickens poop. A lot sometimes. They have grit available but don't use it. Their run is sand and they free range for a few hours a day. I figured they were getting grit from the sand and free ranging. Is the visible grass nomal or a sign of concern? (I did not snap any pictures and I only see it once or twice every few days) Thanks for any input!

If you have grit available, they will take what they need. You may not even notice much being gone. Only a few pieces are stored in the gizzard at a time to help grind/process food, once the grit is ground down, then it's expelled in waste. They may be picking up a source of grit in the sand or free range area as well.

You may see a few bits of grass/fibrous material in the poop, that would be normal. As long as they are active/eating/drinking, I would not be concerned.

It never hurts to do a crop check once a week on all your birds, feel crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink - the crop should be empty.

If you have grit available, they will take what they need. You may not even notice much being gone. Only a few pieces are stored in the gizzard at a time to help grind/process food, once the grit is ground down, then it's expelled in waste. They may be picking up a source of grit in the sand or free range area as well.

You may see a few bits of grass/fibrous material in the poop, that would be normal. As long as they are active/eating/drinking, I would not be concerned.

It never hurts to do a crop check once a week on all your birds, feel crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink - the crop should be empty.
Thank you. I will start checking crops once in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom