Not eating, shakes head, gasps occasionally

Thank you, EVERYONE for helping me figure this out. Lillian and her cohort, Dorothy, are my first rescue chickens. I just ordered the meds, after a fruitless day trying to find them here.
I am going to do my best to help Lillian beat this. Yes, dawg53, her breath is horrific!
She has a hard time eating, so I am using a small tube on a syringe and giving her electrolytes, broth, water, and coconut water (calories). I am assuming that I can crush this tablet and mix it with a liquid, once a day for 5 days??? Please let me know if the dosage is different.
Tomorrow is another day. Thanks again!

If I am successful in treating this and Lillian survives, what happens to the growth that is in the bottom of her mouth? Does it ever go away? She has such a hard time swallowing. Am I just prolonging her misery? I am worried that I am putting her through a huge ordeal that won't ever have a good outcome. Thank you.

If I am successful in treating this and Lillian survives, what happens to the growth that is in the bottom of her mouth? Does it ever go away? She has such a hard time swallowing. Am I just prolonging her misery? I am worried that I am putting her through a huge ordeal that won't ever have a good outcome. Thank you.
I'm not sure if you should try to remove the growth or not. I believe that @dawg53 and @casportpony say to try to take it out, but I would think a lot depends on it's location. Hopefully they can give you their opinion on that.

The metronidazole should clear it up. Dont remove the growth, she may bleed out and suffocate due to its location near the trachea.
She will be a carrier for life. Acidified copper sulfate will keep it in check. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water 3 days in a row once a month. Use a plastic waterer, not metal waterer. Do not use more than 1/4 teaspoon. Let your other hen drink the treated water also.

I had previously stated 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water in the link that Wyorp Rock provided but I was incorrect. It's 1/4 teaspoon.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

UPDATE: Lillian is fabulous! I wasn't able to get the Fish Zole, ordered it online, but it would not be here until last Monday. I kept tube feeding her electrolytes, broth and coconut milk, Tylan 50 on the mass.

By Sunday, she was so bad and the mass in her throat had changed very little. I was asking my neighbor if she could cull her, I didn't want Lillian to suffer anymore. Instead, my neighbor, who has a mini farm, came armed with Albon, Nutridrench, Duramycin, and B-Complex. So, for the next 5 days I kept at it.

Today, I am happy to say that the mass is gone! Lillian even has her tongue back! It was buried in the crud she had growing in there. She is feisty, eating real food, and sassy as ever! I just want to thank everyone for your help. Thank you BYC!

Back
Top Bottom