not egg bound??

tarrabean

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Midland, MI

We got 6 new hens 2 weeks ago from a gentleman who said they were about 2 years old. We haven't been getting only but 2 eggs a day average from them and we started to wonder what was going on.(the guy we got them from said that he was getting eggs every day from them right up until we got them from him) This girl has been considerably bigger than the others and just layed around all doesn't move much and when we started to look closer to her we noticed her bottom was very swollen and hard and red. we read that it could possibly be egg bound so we gave her a warm bath and nothing happened. we gave her another bath today then went looking with a finger for an egg because it definitely felt like one was in there from the outside. we did not find an egg.. we are really not sure what to do next. she is very lethargic and has had the runs no solid poop in two days since we have separated her. Any ideas on what to do next? or what might be wrong with her?

With the swelling and redness that looks more like peritonitis to me. The causes can vary from internal laying to cancer. Internal laying and other reproductive tract problems are very common in high production birds. You could try taking her to an avian vet if that's an option for you but the prognosis is probably quite poor. Unfortunately, if this were my bird, I'd cull her or have her put down as this is not a pleasant condition for them to have.

Edited to add: As far as the fellow you got them from saying that he was getting eggs every day....highly unlikely from this bird. Maybe from the others but not her. Chickens also slow down in their laying quite a bit by this age, if they are indeed only 2 years old. Moving to a new home is stressful and can also put off laying, as can the onset of fall and shorter days. Those things can explain the lack of eggs from the others. This hen has much more serious issues going on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. after looking more it does seem to be the peritonitis. going to try antibiotics and see if that helps.. if not I guess "off with her head" :eek:( poor girl! I just hope none of the others have this.

Back
Top Bottom