Not emergency, but... WHAT is the problem here? Give me your opinions.

I would really like to know if she thinks that was acceptable. I mean what was she thinking?!

Was the bird shipped or did you pick it up?

It just boggles my mind that she would even think that it was ok to send that bird. I mean she just looks sick. I would be really p-d off. I mean I'm actually p-d off right now for you.

This is what I want to do
smack.gif
!!!!

Please let me know her response.

AND keep those pictures for future references.

I'm happy for her now that she is being properly taken care of. Makes me think about the others she has and if they are like that also.

Another BYCer drove down from NC and went by her place first and I asked the breeder if she had two hens so the other BYCer could bring them up to me when she came by my place to pick up some of my birds. She said she did and that they were molting, which to me is not a big issue.

The two I got this one looks horrible and the other one is not molting but her top knot isn't the quality I'd expect. I have had great dealings with this breeder in the past and she knows the quality of the birds I keep and I expected her to send quality birds.

I was pretty upset about it. The BYCer who delivered them for me offered to take them back with her, but I felt like this wasn't her deal and she shouldn't have to pay for this issue either. If she would have wanted adults she would have bought some and was only offering to take these because she felt like it was her responsibility or something. I put no blame on her. I trusted the breeder to send healthy and quality birds, not the deliverer to check and be responsible for that.

Oh goodness! I have a few that have that on the neck...... but the rest....... goodness. I could possibly see her feet being that dirty if she was in a box w/o shavings in it for awhile... but to be that dirty all over was like she just scooped her up out of a dirt pile and put her in a box..... then her head all attacked..... at full price......
somad.gif

I would not have sold a bird that looked like that Christy. She looks like she has had plenty of roo action. If it was from a good breeder, then I don't understand why they offered her to you....
tongue.gif

Last edited:
That's kind of where I stand Sunshine. I think if someone wanted to get rid of her they should have been upfront about the issues and given her to me to fix, not as a hen in good shape.

unless you are planning to show the hen in the next few months, I don't think the moulting or roo damage should affect the price, IF it was disclosed ahead of time. If you only need her for breeding, a big scab on her head and a patch of bare feathers on her neck is of zero consequence. Doctor the scab, wait for new feathers. However, the diarrheah and filth encrusted feet, scaley mites. THAT is what I'd be torqued about. The missing feathers on her butt, looks to me like someone got lazy and instead of bathing her bird, just pulled out the soiled feathers and hoped the poop problem would just take care of itself. Isolate, isolate, ISOLATE is all I can say.

CHeck her for mites and even if you don't see any treat her anyway. She needs some major TLC on her feet. Soak in epsom salt water and slather them in VetRX everyday for maybe weeks? That is sooo sad that someone would sell a hen that was in such poor shape (not the moult but the leg mites) I'd be miffed to say the least. I am glad she is in better hands now and you are doing your best to get her healed and cleaned up. I would definately ask for some $ back on her because of the long term care you will have to provide for her to fix her feet.
hugs.gif

Selling that bird was cruel cruel CRUEL!
If her birds are all like that, she should have her birds romoved!
That is a disgrace to a breeders name!!

At least she has you to care for her!

Back
Top Bottom