Not emergency - What is this inside my hen's comb??

Sylver Queen

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hello!
About a year ago (I know, I feel bad šŸ˜¬) one of my lower pecking order hens got a little pecked on the comb, just normal fussing, and she had a couple of small scabs, but then the next time she got pecked the scab didn't go away, just a whitish gray thing, then I noticed over the months her comb seemed to be getting bigger and the scab didn't fall off. Fast forward to October when it was big enough that I was concerned she may have gotten a fungal infection or something. Then after being very dry out it finally rained, which softened up the wad that had formed inside her comb. I was able to pick out a couple of big pieces and was rather disgusted, but I couldn't get the rest out (it's hard as beeswax) so decided to leave her for a bit. Well today after a good rain, I brought her in and cleaned out the whole thing! It's now a cavern like a raspberry, where it used to be a pea comb with a slight indent prior. She and one of her sisters have unusual shaped combs and it was always slightly pitted, and I would occasionally clean stuff out of it, but we're talking maybe an eighth of an inch, not this chasm that a whole cotton swab head can fit inside! The stuff I got out reminded me of bumblefoot except inside her comb, so I'm wondering if it's bacterial infection stuff? Before I got it out I treated her for 10 days with an antifungal med just in case, and saw no improvement, but now I poured inside a little hydrogen peroxide, which is the white foam in the cleaned out video, and then filled the hole with triple antibiotic. She also had another gray spot that I picked at and it came out as well, revealing another small hole in the middle of her comb. This stuff's "burrowing" in and it's gross. I had to squeeze it from her nostrils up like a tube of toothpaste to get everything out. šŸ˜ I'll be checking it every day, but if anyone knows what the heck this is I would sure love the info so I can treat it better. Thanks!

* Included is some before and after footage, and it's gross-ish. ;)

Actually, I am unable to upload the videos since they're incompatible with the platform or something, which is a bummer since they show it much better!

Attachments

• PXL_20221209_000119961.jpg
    PXL_20221209_000119961.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20221208_235039949.jpg
    PXL_20221208_235039949.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Seems like she got a bacterial infection when she was pecked. Chicken have solid pus and use it to wall off infection so it doesn't spread. It's a neat trick but also kinda gross... and, yes, it's the same process that causes the "bumble" of bumblefoot. Looks like you did a good job cleaning it out. Keep an eye on it but I think it should heal up fine. If you keep getting more pus building up an oral antibiotic might be in order.

Seems like she got a bacterial infection when she was pecked. Chicken have solid pus and use it to wall off infection so it doesn't spread. It's a neat trick but also kinda gross... and, yes, it's the same process that causes the "bumble" of bumblefoot. Looks like you did a good job cleaning it out. Keep an eye on it but I think it should heal up fine. If you keep getting more pus building up an oral antibiotic might be in order.

Thank you! Will do. šŸ˜Š

I'd say good job so far, although yes maybe an earlier start would've been ideal. Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide I think, maybe try a q-tip with a dab of ACV.

Could be a fungus, and or bacterial infection as you suspected. Some others could weigh in on that here.

I'd say good job so far, although yes maybe an earlier start would've been ideal. Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide I think, maybe try a q-tip with a dab of ACV.

Could be a fungus, and or bacterial infection as you suspected. Some others could weigh in on that here.
Thanks! I think I got it all and she's healing well so far. Definitely careful with peroxide. šŸ‘šŸ˜Š Thanks for responding!

Back
Top Bottom