Not getting enough water from nipple waterer?

Pics

PortlandME

Chirping
Jan 3, 2021
Maine
Hi All!

I use a 2 gallon Farm Innovators nipple waterer for my 6 girls which they seem to use without issue. My concern is when I go to fill it up using a watering can, the girls always run over and take gulps of water out of the can (see photo!). This makes it seem like they are very thirsty and aren't getting enough water from their nipple waterer. I'd say they are going through a gallon of water every 3-4 days right now. Am I overreacting? Could they just be doing this out of excitement?

Thanks for your insights!

Attachments

• tempImageuaRZZp.png
    tempImageuaRZZp.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 119
I think they'll be okay, if they are drinking a gallon a day--- but is your waterer in danger of freezing? Where do you live and how cold is it? Does waterer have horizontal or vertical nipples?
Chickens do like drinking out of big containers....but I do raise my youngsters on nipple waterers as their only water. It's too cold here to use those in the winter so I've switched over to heated dog bowls.

Woah - what an aggressive response! I thought nipple waterers were recommended for keeping the water clean. This was also the best reviewed heated drinker I could find. They don't need to "suck" on the nipple... just peck.
They are recommended for getting water clean. If I had had my girls from chicks, I would have used one. My poultry waterer fount one gets so dirty and gross!

Woah - what an aggressive response! I thought nipple waterers were recommended for keeping the water clean. This was also the best reviewed heated drinker I could find. They don't need to "suck" on the nipple... just peck.
I was under the impression that the nipple waters simulate getting drops of water off leaves. They also keep water clean, and horizontal nipples won't freeze, making nipple waters an ideal option for many people.
wash bowl and water stay clean!

Back
Top Bottom