Not growing?

escripps

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2019
Bay Area, California
Hello!!

I got chicks from the hatchery this year including 2 silkies! 1 white (hedwig) and 1 black (pengwen). They are both very cute. I have a total of 6 chicks in the brooder, 4 from the same hatchery as the silkies and 2 not.

What I am concerned about it's my little black silkie is still really small compared to the white silkie. Like half the size. But she is very active and alert. She eats, she drinks. Is this something I should be worried about?

Attachments

• 15938014469966239463217456271951.jpg
    15938014469966239463217456271951.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 13
I too have one not growing. Most times they eventually pass, probably from some internal birth defect, but sometimes they surprise you.

She is almost 2 weeks old and seems okay... just the fact that she is still so small worries me
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do except make sure she's not being chased away from food and water. Sometimes they are just runts too, so wait and see.

Growth issues can stem from a number of different problems. As long as they're eating, drinking, and holding their own, there's really nothing you can do but wait to see how it turns out. Like @oldhenlikesdogs said, many of them don't make it, but a few do.

Earlier this year, I had a batch of 8 chicks, including 2 EEs. One of them would just not grow, always about half the size of her sister. She took at least two weeks more than everyone else to get her feathers. But she was always eating, drinking, and managed to keep up with everyone else, even if she did tend to sleep a little more than the others. I figured there was nothing I could do but wait it out. She is now 6 months old and couldn't be healthier. She has finally caught up with everyone in size, and although she's since been dubbed Pee Wee, is no worse for wear. :) Fingers crossed your little one follows a similar path. The fact that yours is active and alert gives me some hope, but we'll just have to wait and see. :fl

Back
Top Bottom