Not happy at all - what would you do?

Kelebek

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Orange Grove, TX
So I own a goat farm, along with my 18 muscovey and 18ish chickens that are all free ranged.

We lease our land and our land over looks a lake. The landlord decided that he wanted to have the trees "topped" - ok no biggie. We explain that they actually need to be removed or they will cause the same issues year after year. So he sends an email and says that they are coming out to do a bid on the tree removal. ok no problem. We told the landlord that the dogs would be out in their pen and what not so no biggie they come out, do the bid, turn it into the landlord, he ok's it and sets up for today for them to start.

Well today, we are driving to town and we pass an arborist truck - followed by another "work truck" with a chocolate lab in the bed of the truck with its head out the side .... WHAT... so I have been a ball of panic and my neighbor emailed me this morning that she would go up and check on everyone.

At 3:00 pm (6 hours after she said she would go up) she emails me that the dog is in the cab of the truck. I call her to ask what time she went up to the house and she said about 2:00 ish and that is was a small dog - like a poodle in the truck ... so where the heck is the LAB??? Oh yah - must be running loose with them over the hill cutting the trees - or better yet - BREEDING my puppy that is in heat or crapping all over my yard .... GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I am so upset.... and I can't go home because we live in the country and NEVER lock our doors - well hubby decided to lock all the doors and close all blinds/windows because people we didn't know were going to be on the property and he has the only key to the house! Not to mention the landlord is there from New Jersey (we live in Idaho) and didn't make them get the dogs off of the property ---- gah, I need a beer! LOL!

So go home - inspect the Dogue de Bordeaux to make sure she wasn't bred, count ducks and chickens, pray that my goats were not harrassed all day and completely terrified and that my calf didn't twist a gut from running from the dogs ---- and find the poop that their dogs left in my yard (our dogs do not run loose to potty).

Sorry - had to rant.

Last edited:
What kind of a person brings their dog to work like that?? I mean.. taking a dog on someone elses property and just letting it run around..and not even asking if it was okay?? Wow...I'd be real pizzed also!

My dogs are in a 2+ acre pen - but we have a Dogue de Bordeaux from the Chez Republic that is a breeder pup from champ bloodlines so she is not spayed. These people, that were contracted by our landlord, showed up on our property while we were gone to do work and are letting thier dogs run loose on my property where I have ducks and chickens running loose and a dog that is in heat in her fence that she can be bred through..... grrrr

If you have a female in heat loose in a pen, she will be bred. Some traveling salesman will get the job done. Absolute isolation is a necessity. P>S> dogs can not breed through a fence-urban myth.

What kind of a person brings their dog to work like that?? I mean.. taking a dog on someone elses property and just letting it run around..and not even asking if it was okay?? Wow...I'd be real pizzed also!

Gosh back in the 1970's my parents had the windows replaced on our house (summertime). The guy showed up with his dog; had him wander around our yard. We had an inground pool, my Mom was concerned about the dog jumping in so she spoke to the guy. She asked what the reason was for bringing the dog. Do not know the answer but she was mad and called the company. Next day the guy came and TIED it to one of the trees with NO water. My Mom went out gave the dog a bowl of water ( oh yeah, we had a dog and cat at that time) Made another phone call to the company then police. Needless to say the guy left, another guy came to finish the job and Parents got a check in the mail from the company.

Who knows what goes in some people's minds. Can be scarey.​

sorry sourland - but yes they can breed through our fence -we have wild game fencing..... so it is not the normal chain link. They used to raise elk on our land. I was a vet nurse for 8 years, and have seen it happen many times where animals have been bred through fences ;-)

Typically our dogs are not left out, however, we knew that there would be people on the land and did not want our dogs to tear the house down trying to get them off of our property .... we have mastiffs - not the best with glass windows and blinds/drapes when they are not used to anyone being on the property unless we are home :)

Quote:
Before our dog was fixed, there was a male dog in the neighborhood that took a liking to her. Kept coming around while she was in heat, but nothing ever came of it. I always thought the chain-link fence stopped him. I certainly wasn't there to pop him with a BB every time he came around.

How will he mount the female to gain entry? Been breeding dogs for 50 years and have never known this to occur.
lol.png

Cheifs - yah - it amazes me what people think. e have 4 neighbors in about a 10 mile radius as everyone else has gone to their "snow bird homes" for the winter. We are the only dumb ones who live on top of a mountain on a lake during winter in North Idaho ..... LOL!!!!!

Thankfully we have only 1 neighbor who has dogs, and she is a "collector" but a freak about spay / neuter - so that is a good thing :) Our other mastiff was 8 months when we moved to the farm, she had 3 heat cycles before she was spayed to allow the long bone growth - and then we spayed her :)

Back
Top Bottom