Not happy with my hens behaviour...

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

the 2 hens ive got....the older hen ...is very calm...when u carry and pet her...she stays very calm and doesnt struggle.

the younger one struggles like crazy...

and ive had a few times where it attempted to peck me in the face when i was holding her.

TODAY...i didnt even pick her up.....i was looking at her waddles closely (as previously there was signs of avian pox, but it ended up to be something else)
while i was looking it came up and pecked me on the lip!!!!!!!!!

im really dissapointed...i know its just an animal.......im not too happy with this chicken at all.....it lays poor quality eggs...it escapes at any chance given...struggles when im holding it checking for fleas etc. and it pecked me on the mouth.........
i might be getting rid of it soon......... get another hen

but has anyone experienced this? what does that mean?
i dont think its a territorial thing....because this one gets pecked around like crazy by the older girll.lll

any ideas?

As much as we want to make them into pets our chickens are livestock. Many of them do not like to be held or cuddled. They don't respond well like a dog. While you can teach them a few things most of their reactions is purely instinctive - one action produces a reaction.

This will sound harsh but if your hen bit you it was your fault. One of the first things you should learn is not to get your full frontal face right up in their face. One - your eyes are shiney like grapes and they will react and peck at you. Same with lips and a noses - if it interests them at all they will peck or bite at it. Keep your face out of their space and if you must inspect them hold the neck gently so you can control the movements.

Pecking is a way to keep things in order in their life. If she is pecking the other chicken and you she has made herself the highest hen in the coop. Her peck was telling you to get out of her space - she made you subordinate to herself. She sees you as a lower class chicken.

If you are struggling at this point then get rid of her.

Keep in mind chickens are social animals and you will need to replace her. 2 chickens is okay but you might have a better social order if you go with 3 total.

Quote:
hi miss prissy
thanks for the prompt reply.
well the young one that pecked me on the mouth, it not the top of the pecking order...the older one pecks the crap out of her... but i dont know why i got pecked, as u said..perhaps it kinda intrested her and maybe she was a bit hungry?

yeah well i guess the 2 hens ive got, they share different personalities and different intellegence it seems.
The older hen is very settle & docile..this young one pecked me and also usually pecks at the buttons on my shirt or pants. (obviously its curious)

the thing is.....its about 8 months or just under a year old.
will it grow older to be Docile like my older hen?
or would it just continue the way it is......

because if thats the case...i may as well get rid of it and replace with another hen..and fingers crossed its not as wack as this one...

lastly, why did u mention 3 hens?
whats wrong with 2? or is 2 not enough?
its just that my coop...is practically roomy for 2 hens.....3 is gonna cram things up.

thanks

3 is a nice social structure - top, middle, bottom.

Chicken personalities are much like any other. Some are just grumpy, grim and prickly all their lives.

I got pecked on the lip once because I had picked up our fav pullet (Gwen) to show visiting friends. Gwen didn't WANT to be shown off or held, so she let me know to put her down.

I just learned the hard way about the eye thing.
My sweet little month-old BO was cuddling on my chest, then BOOM! A beak jabs into my right eye.
It still hurts. Ouch.

live and learn!

I was given 3 australorps and a barred rock for my first hens. The smallest australorp attacked me and my DH often (talons up, beak ready). The giver warned us she was mean and had alway kept a stick to ward the attacker off. I watched the hens interact for a few weeks. The poor girl was at the bottom of the pecking order and the others would just walk up and peck her on the head several times a day for no discernable reason (I suppose it would be chicken reason). If I got pecked on the head without warning many times a day by my permanent companions, I would be in an awful mood all the time, too. So, I just deflect her attacks and I have named her Sweetums. She attacks less now but she always seems to be thinking about it.

Quote:
owww
i was wondering if anyone ever got pecked on the eye...

that could blind u ya know...

this young hen...ive clipped her wings......both of them too....

but she keeps flying over the fence some how...
so when i come home shes running around the yard.

ill see how it goes for a few more month.......
ive i cant stand it....im gonna have her replaced..

thanks guys for your replies....

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, when clipping the wings, you only do one. This causes the bird to be unbalanced so they can't fly. If you clip both wings equally, they may not fly as well because of shorter feathers, but they'll fly better than if only one wing is clipped.

Hope that helps for future clippings
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom