Not happy with this round of shipped eggs

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
This order of duck eggs is almost as bad as the "ameraucana" eggs I received (18?) that were actually EE's and not a one grew a single thing! I ordered off ebay (I know, bad me) ... 8 duck eggs. She sent 12, one arrived rotten, and of the 11 remaining only 1 is growing for sure with a "maybe" on a 2nd. Boo. All the air cells were detached, I might add. At least they were only 99 cents plus shipping. I hope at least one makes it to hatch.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like mine. I had one broken on there end, one with egg stuff on it, thats how i know it broke on there side, 2 detatched air sacs, out of 18 eggs i only have 4 still developing on day 14 And about 7 or so didn't have development at all. I know its not my bator since all my eggs have developed and on quit on unknown day.

how do you know if the aircells are detatched i candled just before i put mine in the bator couple are very pourus but the aircells seem to be in the right place just small thats all

when you take a flashlight to the area that the air cell should be if you notice it moving when you move the egg to it's side that is when there is a detached air cell.

i think the PO have been very rough on the eggs this time of year. i have heard of locals getting eggs shipped lately and the PO person has dropped their boxes on the counter like it wasn't even fragile. i have to check the air cells on the 2 boxes i got today. but i was going to give them a full 24 hrs just as a precaution.

I know several people I trust to ship eggs will NOT ship this time of year because of how the USPS is treating all the bulk mail because they are over run for the holidays. I would wait on buying eggs until after Christmas on the amount of mail they handle is at normal levels again. I know priority packages are taking up to 6 days rather then 3, and they are BRUTAL to those boxes... even if you write FRAGILE all over in red ink!
tongue.png

Good luck, I hope you at least get the 2.

I have hatched out great hatches buying guinea eggs off ebay in the summer I would say a 90% hatch rate, I did make sure I bought within 500 miles or so .

Quote:
Yes
smile.png
And letting the eggs rest for 24 hours before incubating them does help them to stabilize. The air cells won't look nice and round like unshipped eggs but can still hatch
wink.png
It is good to ask questions
thumbsup.gif

You guys are pretty dead on as far as the postal service. The volume of mail during this week and next is insane. They hire casuals during this time, it's not just the regular employees. I have recently received 3 egg shipments and have 3 more coming. I try to always remember to request the box be marked "LIVE HATCHING EGGS" but right now, even that doesn't guarantee anything. Normally that will get the eggs treated like express mail with special handling.

Good luck to all that are getting shipped eggs! Happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom