Not impressed by Anconas as layers--so far

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    have 10 girls, born last April, so they are coming into lay
    also have 9 khaki campbell girls from '09, who are taking some time off laying after their big molt.
    i know kc s will outlay the anconas, but i am surprised that i am getting so few eggs from them.

could be the cold, could be the light--these are the standard answers, but last year the kcs were shooting out eggs like bullets through dec. and into jan.
    ancona keepers are few and far between, but i was wondering if anyone can corroborate my findings so far.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Light will stimulate laying, so does temps slightly above freezing at night. I give mine 15 hours of light using a plant growing bulb for the spectrum. The duck house is insulated and has a small oil filled radiator in it keeping the temps around 35-40 degrees. My 8 ducks are laying 8 eggs each day. I do have Saxony ducks. Anconas are good layers, but genetics also play a factor. Make sure they are getting a balanced diet.

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Hey John! My 3 hens hatched 5/29/10 started laying in October. Once they all got onboard, I've been getting 3 eggs most days, and now this week it's so cold, 2 some days.
    Seems you've had a peck of trouble with your pack from the very first posts you made about em. We must have different lines. I'd be happy to pass you some eggs in the spring if you wanna try em!

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I kept ancona ducks for years I love the odd markings and the ducklings are just too cute for words. Yes they aren't good fall layers but they should explode in late winter and spring when both the temperature and the days get longer. KCs are long term layers the ancona is more seasonal in their laying period.

5. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you, Katharina

Toad.........good to hear you again

and Goose.......i thought you had been abducted by aliens. But then again, i haven't been much on the duck page...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by