not interested in greens, because of free-ranging?

phaethona

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Missouri
I've read a lot of posts about chickens loving cabbage and spinach,etc. my girls free range from sunrise to sunset everyday. I come out everyday and bring them treats, BOSS, fruits,etc. but everytime I try to give them greens, they turn their beaks up at me. I tried the cabbage in the coop thing and they weren't interested(though I will try again this winter). Are they just not interested because they get their fill of greens from free ranging? should I keep trying to introduce them or should I wait till the grass goes dormant?

Mine get all the greens they want free ranging, too. They have quite a few acres to forage on, with a log of bugs and things we've planted for them. They can afford to be picky in the summer and sometimes they are.
lol.png

I don't worry about giving them things like that during the warmer months. In the winter, I do. They are very enthusiastic about anything green when there's snow cover. That's when they really need it, too. I also feed wheat grass and some sprouts in the winter.

As long as they aren't spending a lot of time in their run, this might be a good time to plant some things in there, for the fall. Maybe some kale? Mine love chard any time of the year. Maybe start some grass in there? You could use some grass protectors on it, if you needed to. Those might be good things to do for this season.

Mine get enough green stuff when they run loose in the yard all day long, giving them greens is not that popular during spring and summer. They will devour fruit and many other treats though. Once they don't have the supply in the yard, they will go crazy for greens and veggies. I also grow chard and kale until late in the year for them, during winter they get whatever leftovers I have, cabbage/kale/spinach I buy and any vegetable trimmings from the kitchen. They also share some of my squash soup and other winter vegetables during winter.

I free range all year round and my chooks have no interest in greens as treats. They prefer starchs and fruits. They only vegetable that they do like is peas.

Back
Top Bottom