Not laying and getting fat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer Kitty, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a friend whose chickens have quit laying. They don't seem to be molting and are eating very well-in fact they are getting fat. They have a rooster who seems to be doing fine with the hens, but has taken a dislike to people. Could he be the problem or is there something else going on?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Fat hens usually quit laying...not good for them to be plump....layer and veggies/fruit is all thats usually given to my hens other then a treat of scraps once in awhile...

Rooster shouldn't matter but sometimes they can get stressed from over mating...

And somtimes they just need to take a rest from plopping out eggs!...plus age has alot to do with it....

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, fat hens? What are they being fed. Fat hens is a no no, but it is also molting season so they may start to drop feathers too which means they stop egg production... usually.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The only thing they are feeding is layer and water. The hens had been laying, but quit a little while ago. We thought maybe they were ready to molt, but other than a few little feathers there is nothing in their pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by