not laying anymore - why?

sham30

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
Maine
I have a 2 year old red sex link hen who is no longer laying, this is kind of early for this is'nt it? I also have an americana that is not yet 2 and she no longer lays. I am starting to think I am doing something wrong
sad.png
How long will the average normal hen lay for? Last question
big_smile.png
how long after a molt does it take for them to start laying again? Thanks in advance for you input!

If they just stopped laying here recently then you can chalk that up to short days and cooler temps. Older gals are more susceptible to shorter days and cooler temps.

A good layer should be good for 3-4 years before a noticable drop, but that 3rd winter is going to be egg free, or at least low, unless you add artificial light. I don't, but alot of others do.

A molt can take 4-12 weeks. Depends on the bird and the type of molt. A heavy molt is fast, but the hen is flat out naked at first. A light molt can take forever as they gradually replace a few feathers at a time. I have had a few hens lay while going through a light molt, but just not as many eggs as normal.

Matt

I am by no means an expert, but I see that you are north of me, so--
How long have they not been laying? Maybe it's the shorter pre-winter days already affecting them? I've learned about that on here, and I'll wait with you to see what other people come up with to help.

Nic&Chickies :

I am by no means an expert, but I see that you are north of me, so--
How long have they not been laying? Maybe it's the shorter pre-winter days already affecting them? I've learned about that on here, and I'll wait with you to see what other people come up with to help.

My coop is inside my barn and it is lighted so they do not get light deprived, I was worried it was worms so I am thinking of worming the whole flock, how old should they be when you worm them?​

Back
Top Bottom