Not laying eggs

mama__bear

Hatching
Oct 25, 2022
Hi all! I’m new to the whole chicken thing. We recently moved into a home that had some chickens on the property; there were originally 6 but unfortunately 2 passed away. The previous owner told us that the chickens were rescued from a farm that was overcrowded and had a rooster problem, but that a few of the hens were ready to start laying again.

The first few weeks, only one hen was laying. We gave their coop and run a deep clean, changed up the bedding, hung some fresh herbs to lighten up the vibe, and soon after a second one started laying! 🎉

This went one for about 2 weeks, but now it’s been about 10 days and the girls haven’t laid any eggs.

I understand it’s molting season…no one looks particularly sparse, but would that still be a normal occurrence this time of year? I’m in the southern gulf islands on the coast of British Columbia and fall weather has definitely started.

Thanks in advance for your input. I’m grateful to have come across this resource!

It could be molting, or..do you know their age? They will slow down after the age of two years. Some, not all breeds. Leghorns lay for quite a while. Plus, if the weather is just changing....

Good luck. !

I understand it’s molting season…no one looks particularly sparse, but would that still be a normal occurrence this time of year?
They can molt without looking too ratty or naked...you will notice a lot of feathers laying around. They often stop laying before molting, it's the shortening days that do it, not the temps.

Do you free range?

I’m in the southern gulf islands on the coast of British Columbia
Welcome to BYC! @mama__bear
You can add your location in your profile so it shows up under your avatar.

Back
Top Bottom