not laying, panting, and discharge in pullet - PLEASE HELP

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
my pullet who did lay 13 days in a row hasnt laid an egg in seven days. i felt around, and she doesnt seem to be egg bound - she does free range, in my back yard, so if she is laying i would've found eggs. today she was panting. to be fair it was 98 degrees, but usually she can handle it. just now when i closed the coop door on them (they were already on the roost) she was still panting, i picked her up and brought her to the water, trying to get her to drink by dipping her beak in (like i did with them as chicks) then, she discharged on me! it wasnt poop - it was deffinetely a discharge. what is wrong?

Last edited:
i have no clue, but maybe chicken experts will come by and let ya know.. sorry i couldnt help, hope all works out well. i am sure she will be alright.

Rosy,
Can you bring her in the house to keep an eye on her? What did the discharge look like? She may have an egg that ruptured inside of her which is very serious. (I think they call it egg peritonitis). You can google it for more info. As far as the panting goes, mine were all panting today and on the roost tonight. Wish I could be of more help. Am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your girl.

Ellen

thank you! oh gosh - i hope it isnt that serious, i havent looked that up yet, but i will as soon as possible. come to think of it she had the discharge a little after i felt around her belly - not hard or anything, just to see if she was egg bound. thanks guys. i am not going to take her inside, i only have 3 chickens, one of which is a baby chick who the other 2 have tried to kill. i am going to keep her in the coop with the other chicken though. now i am going to go google that or wikipedia it. thank you very much - i really appreciate it

When your bird is panting for any reason you need to give electrolytes... if you do not have any on hand please do get some to always keep on hand ... in a pinch you can give gatorade or Pedialyte (childrens electrolytes for when they are dehydrated from diarrea or such).
It might be your bird was just drinking excessively (due to the heat) which means they will on occasion "discharge" only a watery substance with no poo, however I am unsure about what you call "discharge"... if, as someone else earlier pointed out , she had a (perhaps "soft"/shelless?) egg inside which broke, then the chance of peritonitis (so a very serious infection from that egg breaking inside her) is very high ...if that happens then she will need serious antibiotics and you will need a vet to prescribe this for her...

she was panting when i got home today - she knocked over her waterer - good news - shes laying - bad news - that means shes hiding the rest in a spot that remains to be a secret - meaning i'll find them when they start to rot. i will look into buying electrolites - thanks

clap.gif

i found her nest - and she laid in the nesting box again today! it was in a corner behind our chimney and it was hidden by a lot of ferns. in there there were 6 lil eggs - it was so cute - also meaning she hasnt broke her record - shes laid everyday

Back
Top Bottom