not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seminolewind, Feb 13, 2009.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My Ameraucana started laying at 5 months, layed for a few months, now hasn't laid in 6 months. Any ideas?

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

All my birds took the holidays (halloween-easter) off last year... same this year, now they are actually starting to lay, a few at a time (9 hens, 2 or 3 eggs a day)... If you are northish, it may be due to cold and dark.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Give them light for 14 hours and that should increase egg production.

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My girls slowed way down on their laying too. I added lights to the coops and I am back up to 6 eggs a day! Some people don't like to add lights because it is not natural, but I really like eggs! Good luck!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Do you have lights on them Sem? Also, have you tried upping their protein by adding Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or another supplement? It's kind of weird how it's just one bird. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I will join you on this one - my EE stopped laying at the end of October and nothing yet. Everyone else is poppin along just fine. [​IMG]

7. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    My EE hasn't laid an egg since July. She was just over 2 years old at that point, but the RIRs who're the same age are still laying. Unlike the other two, she took long breaks in her first year of laying. I suspect that some EE's are just better layers than others. Clearly mine is not one of them.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She's not even a year and a half yet. She had nice blue eggs. Buster, I don't have lights on them, and the rest have laid great all thru the winter. (what winter). I could try more protein I guess.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Some birds may just be more sensitive to the weather changes. BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) or scrambled eggs may help. I fed my birds some BOSS the other day and I think laying picked up for a couple of days. I'm going to start feeding it some more and see what happens, especially now where we are in the single digits again.

10. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hey Lady,

mine just started laying again and mine had not laid since August so I know your frustration......Hope she will start laying soon for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by