Not laying??

CJ Morris

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2022
I have 8 hens, some about 18 months old. I live in Florida, and yes, it’s hot, but I’m only getting 3 eggs daily, and temps are way down. I use a pellet form layer diet, fresh water daily, supplement with crickets and such from the farm store..they free range during the day and I give them fruit and veggies..So, what’s wrong? I need help!

Welcome to BYC.

As others have said, laying often slacks off for molting at that age and this time of year.

However, you said that they free range. Could they be hiding a nest from you?

Also, could they have been stressed by the storm, even if you weren't in one of the harder-hit areas?
1: the nest thing possibly, but the mostly go in the garden and along outside it. If so, I can’t find it, lol
2: They haven’t laid normally since late spring, so, no…

Welcome to BYC.

As others have said, laying often slacks off for molting at that age and this time of year.

However, you said that they free range. Could they be hiding a nest from you?

Also, could they have been stressed by the storm, even if you weren't in one of the harder-hit areas?
I left them in their coop without releasing them for several days, thinking they were “hiding” eggs, but still got the same number per day. I have a dusting place in the coop with food grade diatomaceous earth mixed in also. I have tried everything I could think of all Summer, and I just don’t know now. Maybe intestinal parasites? It’s the only thing I haven’t treated for

I left them in their coop without releasing them for several days, thinking they were “hiding” eggs, but still got the same number per day. I have a dusting place in the coop with food grade diatomaceous earth mixed in also. I have tried everything I could think of all Summer, and I just don’t know now. Maybe intestinal parasites? It’s the only thing I haven’t treated for

I couldn't say. It's outside my realm of experience at this point. :)

Back
Top Bottom