Not laying

andrewdv

Hatching
May 12, 2015
My hens are not laying I was having 7-8 eggs per day now I get 1 every other. I have a broody that is going in on the nest will she stop the others laying

Last edited:

andrewdv

Hatching
May 12, 2015
No looked everywhere no sign of eggs. They hav only been eating mixed corn so that may be a reason they are back on layers pellets now thanks

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
No looked everywhere no sign of eggs. They hav only been eating mixed corn so that may be a reason they are back on layers pellets now thanks
You discovered the problem. A diet of corn for chickens is like a person eating only bread.
A neighbor wanted to buy some hens from me. When I asked why, he said his stopped laying. I asked what he was feeding them. He said, "corn".
I said, "Yeah, but what else?" He said, "Just corn." I said, "You're starving them. They need chicken feed that has all the nutrients chickens need not just a few."

Last edited:

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Corn can be a small treat now and then but it is not nutritious for people or chickens. Having said that, I love corn on the cob but, no one expects me to lay eggs
gig.gif

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
You discovered the problem. A diet of corn for chickens is like a person eating only bread.
A neighbor wanted to buy some hens from me. When I asked why, he said his stopped laying. I asked what he was feeding them. He said, "corn".
I said, "Yeah, but what else?" He said, "Just corn." I said, "You're starving them. They need chicken feed that has all the nutrients chickens need not just a few."
A diet that is insufficient will not support production - forming and expelling those eggs 4-6 times a week takes a lot out of their body, and when the system is strained/stressed that is one of the first systems to be shut down to try and preserve any nutrition that *is* available for life sustaining systems.

Top Bottom