Not laying

andrewdv

Hatching
May 12, 2015
My hens are not laying I was having 7-8 eggs per day now I get 1 every other. I have a broody that is going in on the nest will she stop the others laying

Last edited:
No looked everywhere no sign of eggs. They hav only been eating mixed corn so that may be a reason they are back on layers pellets now thanks

No looked everywhere no sign of eggs. They hav only been eating mixed corn so that may be a reason they are back on layers pellets now thanks
You discovered the problem. A diet of corn for chickens is like a person eating only bread.
A neighbor wanted to buy some hens from me. When I asked why, he said his stopped laying. I asked what he was feeding them. He said, "corn".
I said, "Yeah, but what else?" He said, "Just corn." I said, "You're starving them. They need chicken feed that has all the nutrients chickens need not just a few."

Last edited:
Corn can be a small treat now and then but it is not nutritious for people or chickens. Having said that, I love corn on the cob but, no one expects me to lay eggs
gig.gif

You discovered the problem. A diet of corn for chickens is like a person eating only bread.
A neighbor wanted to buy some hens from me. When I asked why, he said his stopped laying. I asked what he was feeding them. He said, "corn".
I said, "Yeah, but what else?" He said, "Just corn." I said, "You're starving them. They need chicken feed that has all the nutrients chickens need not just a few."
A diet that is insufficient will not support production - forming and expelling those eggs 4-6 times a week takes a lot out of their body, and when the system is strained/stressed that is one of the first systems to be shut down to try and preserve any nutrition that *is* available for life sustaining systems.

Back
Top Bottom