Not Meaning to Ruffle Any Feathers, But . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pony Trotsky, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Pony Trotsky

Pony Trotsky Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Good morning.

[​IMG]

Being new to chickens, I spend a fair amount of time researching breeds and breed characteristics. If I hear about a breed that sounds interesting, I'll often do a Google image search on it. So far so good, but here's the odd thing: it seems like every time I click on a really great looking backyard bird or small hatchery, it turns out to be in the UK!

I'm not talking about "show" birds here, but about regular, everyday chickens. The British ones just seem nicer all around - sturdier, prettier, and more "type-y," but without being exaggerated in any way.

So what's up with this? Am I imagining it, or do Brits just have unusually nice chickens?

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It's true.....but being a Brit I WOULD say that.

Actually I think there are some amazing birds on you 'side of the pond'.

We seem to have sturdy type chickens over her....maybe they need to be to withstand the wet and wind.

3. LeelooD

LeelooD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    NW Florida
    Well, they do have more hobbyists over there since chicken laws seem to be looser in the UK. Perhaps a larger hobbyist market creates more breeders and diversity. I actually like to hang out on a UK board since they are more encouraging of the hobbyist chicken-keeper. A lot of chicken people on this board can get a bit snotty and condescending about it at times so I mostly lurk.

4. Pony Trotsky

Pony Trotsky Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    ^ That's an interesting idea, leelooD, and it makes good sense. More knowledgeable hobbyist breeders probably would produce a better over-all population.

[​IMG]

Coming from the horse world, the idea of being "snobby" about chickens still strikes me as very comical - but it does seem like people can be snobby about pretty much anything, if they really set their minds to it.

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Hey, it's just a matter of opinion. I personally prefer the looks of most American type birds to the UK types. Just my opinion, I'm not wrong, and neither is anyone else.
    Mitch [​IMG]

6. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Quote:So True!

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Have you not heard that old saying? The chickens are always prettier on the other side of the ocean...... [​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:LOL

Accurate statement and [​IMG]

9. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Older Country..were younger than they are..........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But let GREEN FIRE FARMS IMPORT somehing new and everyone flocks to get it!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] AND SPENDS BIG $$$$$$$$$ ~Charm1704

10. CrazyCatCulby

CrazyCatCulby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Quote:Yes, agreed, but here in Michigan we have cold wet weather at least 6 months of the year, and even more so up north. I only have one RIR hen at the moment, and I feel that we have some great chickens in my area but they just need more publicity. (LOL)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by