1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not Molting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenberry, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is Petunia. She is our chicken that has the comb-capped head. I'm not sure how old she is. I am beginning to think she's maybe quite a bit older than the other chickens she came to me with. She's smaller built and/or thinner.. I'm not sure which.

She has had the fuzzy butted, hardly-any-feathers on her bottom look for months and months and months now (about 6?). She's not molting. But I am pretty sure she's not laying (or ever has.) We have 6 hens and at the very most have only received 5 eggs in a day. I think she's the no-layer.

Does anyone possibly know from just looking what may be going on with her?

2. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Did you check for lice and mites? I would probably treat her to be safe.

3. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

I really don't think it's mites or anything like that either. She does not scratch and all the other chickens are very healthy.

Is this a way of showing age?

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I can not see the pic but I have a hen that plucks out her own feathers and eats them, mostly from her belly and shoulders. I just started using blue kote on her, hope it helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by