not normal behavior

beach livin'

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Manteo
alpha hen not acting her self. got home from work and 3 hens ran to the gate to be let out into the yard. my alpha is usually the first one there. but today she was up under the coop with her tail down. she came out and drank a bit of water then went to the yard. i just looked out, and she was laying down while the others are scratching around. she got up and had runny poop. i went out and wiped her backside, and felt around her rear to see if i could tell she was eggbound. i cant feel anything weird from outside. do i need to feel inside the vent? we only got 3 eggs from 4 girls today. please advise. do i need to separate her?

been watching her in the yard. she has distanced herself from the other girls and is moving slowly. she is also breathing with an open beak, and i can see her vent opening and closing with each breath.

Do a complete assessment of her. What does her crop feel like? What does her abdomen feel like? Does she have lice/mites?
I tend to isolate all my sick chickens so I can keep an eye on their intake and output.........otherwise, you have no idea if they are eating or drinking.
What does her poop look like?
I wouldn't feed her much for a day or so.......maybe just a little cooked oatmeal with olive oil in it.
Keep her cage/area darkened, in case it is an egg problem. This will help keep her from ovulating.
Let us know what her abdomen and crop feel like.

I'm sorry about your hen. I really don't know what is wrong with (I'm very new to chickens). Did you do as much of a full body check as possible? See if she has lumps, bumps, scratches, mites, etc. anywhere else?

Hope she gets back to herself soon!

Back
Top Bottom